Menu

Slipcover: yes or no?

I have some camel-back couches that I've not liked for several years (floral fabric)! We haven't gotten around to replacing them and, now that we've just bought a piano, it will be longer before we do. Should I consider slipcovering them? With the shape, I think I would need to choose the stretch type, and wouldn't the separate cushion cover help it to look better and stay in place? (I have been looking at these.)

Will we be happy with one? Will we have to constantly tuck it back in, etc.? It seems like the stretch ones with separate cushion cover would stay put better than the others, but I have no experience with slipcovers. What do you think? Yes or no? :bigear:

I had that kind on a large sofa with two seat cushions, bought before they had the separate seat cushion offering, and it was great. It did come untucked for about a year, until I became smarter than the slipcover and discovered that you have to pull the elastic strip at the back under the corners of the cushions, like a fitted sheet. Then it was fine. It won't be a problem with the separate seat covers.

Washed nicely, too, for 4 years, until we gave it away with the couch a few months ago.

I used a slipcover on an old couch in the school room. Definitely DON'T get the kind that isn't stretchy! Mine was the bane of my existence for two years--if you even breathed on it, it immediately became untucked and looked like a wrinkled mess. Unlike the PP, I was never able to outsmart it.

Thanks, Angela! I didn't buy a slipcover during the Cyber Monday sale, but I'm still considering buying the same one from Bed, Bath, & Beyond with one of their coupons. I appreciate hearing that yours worked well for you!

DEFINTELY get the separate cushion one! Mine doesn't have that feature. Our loveseat was too small for the couch sized one and is 1 or two inches too large for the loveseat sized one, but it is the loveseat size that I'm stuck with and I have to constantly re-tuck the elastic under our just barely too large seat cushions. I can't wait for our loveseat to die (I think it *is* aleady dead, but dh isn't convinced)!

I love the soft, warm fabric of the stretch pique slipcover, though. It is so nice this time of year!