Menu

iPad ideas for homeschool

MomN

I just bought an iPad and of course my kids just love the games.  But I really bought it to use during our homeschool next year.  I am looking for suggestions on how to use the iPad productively during school time.  What educational apps do you like? Do you use it for audiobooks?  Anything besides games and audiobooks that you use it for?  Are there parental controls to make sure the child is only playing what you ask them to play?  Does anyone use it for online books?  My kids are 3, 6, and 7.

I have so far tried DreamBox which I like, although I not sure I want to keep paying for it (I got a free 3 month subscription).  I also have Dragonbox apps.  I tried ABC Mouse but have been less than impressed so far.

Thanks!

Laura

My girls (ages 9 and 12) are a little older than your kids, so I’m not sure how helpful this will be. But, they use their iPads for...

• Accessing their daily planner via Homeschool Planet
  • Duolingo (foreign language app)
  • Listening to audiobooks via the Libby/RB Digital apps (thru the library)
  • Accessing their science lessons (Exploration Education website)
  • Xtra Math (the website, not the app)
  • typing lessons - they’ve used both typing.com and typingclub.com

For the typing, we got them keyboards they can attach/detach. The keyboard is pretty cool because it essentially turns the iPad into a mini laptop. Here’s a link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5P80IQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also got Apple pencils fo Christmas and they’ll use those to work on math (they open up a blank page and use it as scratch paper to work out problems). 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1