Menu

Traditional Animation for Elementary

mathmarm

What are good resources for traditional animation that are accessible in the elementary years? @Lori D. I tried searching your posts but didn't find anything animation related but I am hoping you will have something in your Omnipotent Archives!

If we dont find anything then we might make our own.

Hubby and I are hoping to offer a multi-week unit on animation in 2nd-4th/5th grade. We were thinking of using Disneys 12 Principles of Animation and focusing on 3-4 Principles at a Time.

We want to learn and introduce basic principles of animation with Jr. He is getting fairly decent at drawing and we think he would really like animation.

We don't want computer drawn animation yet, as this is meant as an extension to his drawing education. So far he has mostly drawn with Ticonderoga and reams of printer paper.

Is there a better framework for Elementary students to start Animation with? I know nothing about animation so will be learning along side him.

We have a big collection of drawing books to draw inspiration from and I have ordered Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair to pull exercises from. I am also considering The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation for a reference for Hubby and I.

I have ebook 

We are brainstorming a list of basic animation exercises. If anyone wants to ahare what they've done for Animation 

For Stop Motion we have 

A mountain of Cardboard

Clay dough

Lego

Toy Figurines

StikBots--I picked up a StikBot Studio on clearance it looks like it comes with an App but we will forgo the App and just use the StikBot toys.

We have an old iPhone to take the Stop Motion pictures on and he can scroll through the images to watch them animate.

Edited by mathmarm
Figured I'd used this old post instead of starting a new one.

How fun!

For traditional drawing animation, you might start with a 2 "cel" simple animation, that is of a a piece of paper (about 2-4" high, and about 6-8" wide) folded in half, with a single change in the image; roll the top folded page around a pencil and then roll the pencil back and forth to "animate":

- example: YouTube: Paper Chicken Animation

And then based on the similar idea, do some flip books (hint: if using a post-it note pad, start with the end of the story and move to the beginning last -- so start with the back page of the post-it pad, then the next-to-back page to make tracing the previous image easier, which helps to keep the image from jumping around)

youtube video with examples
- youtube video tutorial: how to make a flip book
- Innovation: Kids Lab: How to Make a Flip Book

DSs used Lego mini-figs and a flat base plate, and created backdrops out of legos. If interested in Lego animations, check out:  Brick Films (animated short films made with Legos; also some ideas and resources). DSs also did some animation the I think of as "live animation" -- that involved friends, where you take a frame, the friend moves a little/takes a step and take a frame, etc. -- like in this Ok Go video.

I would suggest getting a basic video editing software to use on the computer, which allows for playback, adding titles and effects, and makes the whole process much easier than trying to scroll at-speed on an iPhone. 😉 Some are even free. See: "10 Best Video Editing Apps for Kids".

Key to animation is to remember that it is just a specialized form of filmmaking -- it is visual story telling. And as with all films and visual storytelling, you really want to think through IN ADVANCE your story, characterizations, and all details, and plan out scenes carefully before starting; consider using storyboarding to help figure out changes in angles and editing. You might want to actually do a comic book or graphic novel FIRST to start understanding visual storytelling.

Sounds like you already have far more resources and a more detailed lesson plan than anything I can link you to... But since you requested past threads, here you go:

past WTM threads (resources geared for elementary ages):
Any resources for a 9yo who is interested in film/movie making?
DD10 interested in video/film making
Movie making / film editing
Movie making & digital arts
Movie Editing software/claymation, etc?
Computer animation curriculum???
Children's film festivals or contests?

Very simple free online:
ABCYa: Make an Animation

Article with links:
"10 Best Animation Makers for Kids to Have Fun"
"Teach Kids to Make a Movie"

Edited by Lori D.