Menu

Any resources for a 9yo who is interested in film/movie making?

Sue G in PA

My ds9 is totally into making movies right now...has been for some time. We bought him a cheap video camera a year ago and he uses it constantly. His latest project is making a Star Wars-esque movie. Does anybody know of any resources geared toward his age about movie/film making? I'm thinking a "how-to" or a general resource about careers in the industry. Something like that. TIA!

My son is the same way. :) He is 10. I heard of something a while back and sent the information to my dh. I will see if I can track it down for you.

My son uploads his video to the computer and uses Microsoft Window's Movie Maker to edit and create his short clips/movies. It even has scene intro's, and credits at the end like a real moview. He LOVES doing this. :D

Edit: Just realized it was for PC games that I sent him. If you're intrested in creating PC I can help in that area. :)

My ds9 is totally into making movies right now...has been for some time. We bought him a cheap video camera a year ago and he uses it constantly. His latest project is making a Star Wars-esque movie. Does anybody know of any resources geared toward his age about movie/film making? I'm thinking a "how-to" or a general resource about careers in the industry. Something like that. TIA!

Vision Forum sells some materials for its Young Filmmaker's Academy. Check out their website. He can also submit his work to their annual film festival. I went a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun, and the films presented were surprisingly good.

http://3stonesstudios.com/#/aboutus/4522579076

Here's some info about a media camp that is held in the summers in a few parts of the country. A homeschool mom on another board rec this to us. We have earmarked it to use in a few years, if interests continue. It is a christian company that runs the camp, if that matters to you.

My ds10 is also interested in filmmaking. His goal is to make Star Wars 7,8 & 9.

I keep telling my son he needs to make films that will appeal to 10 year old boys and still have approval from the parents. Going to the video store is so frustrating at this age.

I found this book at a used book store. I haven't done any of the activities, but it looks fun. It is more of a science book. Also their are lots of other books about actual film making in the links area on amazon.

book

Jan

This looks perfect for my ds9! He loves hands-on stuff. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks to everyone else for your great suggestions and links! Can't wait to take a look at everything.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a Klutz book, "Tricky Video: The Complete Guide to Making Movie Magic." Your ds may be a little further along than this, but it has over twenty ideas/activities/techniques for making fun movies/tricks/'shorts' as they call them. I bought it at Toysrus for $19.97. (I know you can get Klutz books at Michael's with their 40-50% off coupons, but I was excited to find this and bought it at full price for the convenience factor). I love Klutz books--how my kids can just pick them up and dig right in...

You can buy it from:

http://www.videouniversity.com/shop/cyber-film-school-cd-rom

Dss 9 want to be film makers just like your son does and Star Wars has been part of their inspiration too!

Ds Edison decided to be a film maker at a young age when he watched some ICR (Institute for Creation Research) videos for kids that were produced by his "Uncle A". Over time, my other ds, Tesla, decided to be a film maker too.

We were at Uncle A's birthday party last week and he showed the boys his studio/office and he recommended they start with the Cyber Film School CD Rom. It's only about $50. He also recommended these software products for film making at home:

Premiere Elements

AVS Video

Sonic fire pro

My dss took a film making class at a homeschool learning center last year. All the students were required to appear in the film as well as create the film, and that was surprisingly helpful. Neither son aspires to be an actor, but being in the film then watching the film after it was edited taught them alot about the process. They remembered doing certain actions and often the actions appeared on screen quite differently than they remembered them or envisioned they would be.

For example, Tesla was in an "action scene" and in the film all that was shown was his hand and his hat. So having your son appear in one of his own films might be a great way to learn things (Although I suppose comparing a film to the raw footage would do the same thing)

Another thing I introduced dss to was the director interview or behind the scenes interview on the DVDs we watch. If your son isn't already doing that, he should. The first one dss watched was on the "Toy Story" 1 and 2 DVDs and it was very informative. Almost every DVD has them under "Special Features" or "Extras".

Good luck to your son and to you!