Menu

Memoria Press Science

lulalu

Any reviews of MP science? 

I am looking at Mammals for 3rd next year. But would like to hear about the others as well. 

I have found I just am not one who can do hands on science regularly. I allow ds to do stuff when he feels like it. We have Usborne books and encyclopedias for him to use whenever he wants. But I can't schedule it, and I really dislike doing science activities. 

So I like the thought of studying the natural world. And I like that it is through reading. The reader seems very CM living bookish. Which reading books is what does get done here. DS is a very audio learner. He reads and listens to read alouds all the time, and is able to remember stuff well. So this looks like it would be a good fit? 

Any experience would be appreciated! 

It really depends on your child and their learning style. MP science is very writing-heavy and it just didn’t work for us, even in late elementary school. We’ve done Insects and Trees and they didn’t go over well. At that age, I’d be inclined to just let him read the Usborne books you have, pick up books at the library on science topics that interest him and watch interesting documentaries. I’d bet you can find sciency audiobooks, too. 

• Like 1

MP science is meant to be mastery based, the way that is achieved is a workbook, flashcards, recitation questions and discussion. If you are not wanting that level of mastery you can totally use it to read the text and orally go over the questions.

My 3rd grader did astronomy that way last year and I was amazed at how much he retained just doing it that way. He also enjoyed it and I did too because it was open and go and a quick subject once a week. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. DS has watched all of Wild Kratts many many times over. He may find that he knows all the info already then. 

Can we move to the higher levels or will that be too challenging? 

Or any good living science books that take up a year? Maybe something about sea life? 

I really like the idea of nature readings and observable science around us for elementary years. And I like something simple requiring only once a week. I like the idea of MP science, but I do keep hearing dry. So maybe best to pick our own books? Any lists anywhere to look at for living science books?