Menu

Tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresia recovery time?

Slache

Wow. I actually don’t have a lot of information. Everything I know is so old. My Baby Boy was born with this condition  (among others) 27 years ago. I’ve never even met anyone else (other than GI doctors) who has heard of it. The TE Fistula was repaired on day three and the atresia widened and nissen procedure was done around seven years. Life was very challenging before and dramatically improved after. Although there are still dietary restrictions that are permanent. My Baby Boy spent twelve weeks in the NICU, it he had other health issues as well. He was a preemie. 

Hugs to that precious little baby. And to all who love them. 

1 minute ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

Wow. I actually don’t have a lot of information. Everything I know is so old. My Baby Boy was born with this condition  (among others) 27 years ago. I’ve never even met anyone else (other than GI doctors) who has heard of it. The TE Fistula was repaired on day three and the atresia widened and nissen procedure was done around seven years. Life was very challenging before and dramatically improved after. Although there are still dietary restrictions that are permanent. My Baby Boy spent twelve weeks in the NICU, it he had other health issues as well. He was a preemie. 

Hugs to that precious little baby. And to all who love them. 

He does not need another surgery. I think his was on the simpler end. He's not even in the NICU and I thought that was standard procedure after a surgery.

Long time lurker here.  My (now adult) kid was in the hospital for about ten days after surgery.  There can be issues down the road, such as food getting 'stuck' and reflux.  These kids can also get sicker than other kids.  Life has had its challenging moments, but improved as a teen and adult.  

• Like 1