Menu

Lightning literature 7th/8th out of order?

I'm wondering if we could offer Lightning Literature as a class at our co-op for middle school students. The problem is, the students are in the class for two years, so some students would get lightning lit 7 for 7th grade, but others would get lightning lit 8 for 7th. They would have them in reverse order. Is this a deal breaker?

LL8 picks up where LL7 leaves off and moves forward, especially in the second half of the program. Also, LL7 only has 8 units of material -- LL8 has 12 units (so it is 1/3 longer). And the second half of LL8 gets into guided analysis of excerpts from additional works of literature, which LL7 does not do.

So if you have students do LL8 in 7th, and then LL7 in 8th, they would be going backwards to a more simple, shorter program, rather than continuing to progress in literature and analysis. I personally would avoid that. Also -- would the new 7th graders be ready in reading/analysis abilities to start in at the LL8 level without having done LL7?

What about a rotating schedule:
year 1 = LL7 -- gr. 7 students + gr. 8 students
year 2 = LL8 -- gr. 7 students + gr. 8 students (with the gr. 8 students being the gr. 7 students from year 1)
year 3 = something else -- gr. 7 students + gr. 8 students (with the gr. 8 students being the gr. 7 students from year 2)
   (ideas: another program, such as LLftLotR; or Figuratively Speaking + short stories + poetry; or individual books + lit. guides...)
year 4... -- repeat from year 1 again, if desired, with gr. 7 + gr. 8 students who would all be new to LL7 ...

I have taught Lit. at our homeschool co-op to gr. 7-12, and the one thing I see that is a constant is how WIDE the spread in understanding and abilities of students is, esp. in grades 7-9. Perhaps consider looking closely at the individual students' and their working levels each year, and see if you might need to have a second Lit. class to fit needs. Examples:
- gr. 6-8 students = more informal "book club" discussion group of easier works, for those not ready for LL7 or LL8
- gr. 8 students = ability to join a high school level Lit. class, if they are beyond LL7 or LL8

Whatever you decide, BEST of luck in teaching LL7 / LL8 at your co-op! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.