Menu

Writing to finish 7th grade year and prep for public school

tld

We've focused on writing solid paragraphs along with a little essay work this school year.  We're done with the pieced-together curriculums I planned to use.  I'm needing some curriculum to finish up the year now.  We're planning on putting him into public school next year and I'm not sure what we should focus on to prep him for that.  He's not terribly advanced in his writing, but does okay.  I know we haven't done much with outlining and wondering if we should focus there, but would like a resource to guide us.  I'm also considering just ordering Writing and Rhetoric book 5  and doing the first part of it because we've used it some in the past and...well....it's something.  Any feedback is welcome as to how to finish this school year in the writing realm!

Edited by tld

1 hour ago, tld said:

We've focused on writing solid paragraphs along with a little essay work this school year.  We're done with the pieced-together curriculums I planned to use.  I'm needing some curriculum to finish up the year now.  We're planning on putting him into public school next year and I'm not sure what we should focus on to prep him for that.  He's not terribly advanced in his writing, but does okay.  I know we haven't done much with outlining and wondering if we should focus there, but would like a resource to guide us.  I'm also considering just ordering Writing and Rhetoric book 5  and doing the first part of it because we've used it some in the past and...well....it's something.  Any feedback is welcome as to how to finish this school year in the writing realm!

I would look up claim-evidence-warrant type writing and have him practice writing paragraphs that follow this structure, working up to a simple five-paragraph essay with a thesis that has three claim-evidence-warrant body paragraphs. This is likely the type of writing he will most often encounter in public school.