Menu

Spanish at WTMA? Any experience with this class?

Does anyone have experience with WTMA Spanish class? My daughter has enjoyed the writing and grammar classes she has taken at WTMA but since the Spanish class is a little pricey I was wondering if anyone had a great experience? I have seen many people suggesting other online Spanish options such as Homeschool Spanish Academy?

Thank you for your time.

Kelsey 

My youngest two share two 25 minute sessions each week at HSA while my eldest has done Spanish I, is in Spanish Ii right now and today I signed her up for Spanish III at wtma. 

The two girls adore their HSA teacher, absolutely love her. The work load isn't tough, they download 2-4 pages of worksheets almost every lesson and practice then on their own (no submission process for grading). I think there's an individual oral quiz every couple of weeks over 2 sections, a longer quiz or mini exam ever 4 sections, and an exam every 12 sections, all oral. Nothing written is ever graded. I hate the website interface (could be so much better for taking where a student is in a course and what assignments will be covered in a given class). The system has a lot of flexibility for families with changing schedules (although this can be a con of you want Spanish to always occur on the same day of the week at the same time, hard to make happen with HSA).

My eldest needs more structure, rigor, and student interaction, hence wtma. The wtma classes use lots of online quizzes, read books in Spanish, make presentations and slide decks in Spanish, and complete workbook pages that need to be scanned and uploaded for grading. So it's much more like a traditional classroom. She would absolutely freeze up if she had to speak one on one with an instructor in Spanish each day like at HSA. 

Honestly, I like both, it just really depends upon what works for your child and family.

• 3 weeks later...