Menu

Need Poetry Study for World History/9th Grade

We're doing World History this year (Notgrass) and using some of their literature choices as well as some I've supplemented and mixing in Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide.

Neither Notgrass nor Illuminating Literature cover any poetry at all. I do not have the time or the energy to create something from scratch. Can anyone point me in the direction of something pre-made for poetry? Ideally I'd like something that fits in with world history study but it doesn't have to. What I'm looking for is something similar to what Lightning Literature did for grades 7 and 8. A unit that focuses on certain pieces with some activities/questions/discussion to go along with it.

Memoria Press has something that MIGHT work but I feel like I would need to purchase a lot of pieces to make it work. TLP has an American Poetry unit but I have no idea what it actually covers as I can't find a list.

Progeny Press?

Anyone have ideas for me? Thanks!

Progeny Press: Intro to Poetry: Forms and Elements -- see sample pages here:
- like most PP guides, can be done in 9 weeks or less
- covers mostly British and a few American poems/poets
- covers mostly 19th century works/authors, with a few 20th century
- while there is a suggested anthology that contains all the poems, virtually all can be found online
focuses on a selection of specific poems, with some questions/discussion

We did this PP guide alongside our regular Lit. -- just added another 20 min/day 2-3 days/week, for about 6 weeks, and did it orally together.

CAP's Art of Poetry would be a great choice, and might also fit for you. It is similar to PP's poetry guide, but covers more authors. poetic devices and with more depth. It looks like it has a similar set of authors (British and American) and time frames (19th and 20th centuries), but with more balance between the countries and centuries. Set up very much like LL7/8, with short "teaching text", a poem, followed by guided discussion questions. It is designed as a 1-semester course -- just do bits/units throughout the year (or over 2 years!). If you get the full program, just pop in the DVD for "plug and play" video of teacher providing the lessons, making it easy on you.

No personal experience, as this came out after DSs had graduated, but I would definitely have used this one if it had been available. See samples here.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I’m coming late to the party, but I second the recommendation for Art of Poetry.  I have used and like MP Poetry, but I prefer A of P.  I have used it over the course of high school interspersed between longer works, and we have really enjoyed it!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Lori D. said:

Progeny Press: Intro to Poetry: Forms and Elements -- see sample pages here:
- like most PP guides, can be done in 9 weeks or less
- covers mostly British and a few American poems/poets
- covers mostly 19th century works/authors, with a few 20th century
- while there is a suggested anthology that contains all the poems, virtually all can be found online
focuses on a selection of specific poems, with some questions/discussion

We did this PP guide alongside our regular Lit. -- just added another 20 min/day 2-3 days/week, for about 6 weeks, and did it orally together.

CAP's Art of Poetry would be a great choice, and might also fit for you. It is similar to PP's poetry guide, but covers more authors. poetic devices and with more depth. It looks like it has a similar set of authors (British and American) and time frames (19th and 20th centuries), but with more balance between the countries and centuries. Set up very much like LL7/8, with short "teaching text", a poem, followed by guided discussion questions. It is designed as a 1-semester course -- just do bits/units throughout the year (or over 2 years!). If you get the full program, just pop in the DVD for "plug and play" video of teacher providing the lessons, making it easy on you.

No personal experience, as this came out after DSs had graduated, but I would definitely have used this one if it had been available. See samples here.

Thank you, LoriD! I always appreciate your viewpoints and thoughts. I had stumbled on Art of Poetry after I posted above. It does look pretty great!

On 12/10/2019 at 4:06 PM, Hadley said:

I’m coming late to the party, but I second the recommendation for Art of Poetry.  I have used and like MP Poetry, but I prefer A of P.  I have used it over the course of high school interspersed between longer works, and we have really enjoyed it!

Thanks so much! So, you've used it over several years just doing little bits at a time?

22 hours ago, shburks said:

Thank you, LoriD! I always appreciate your viewpoints and thoughts. I had stumbled on Art of Poetry after I posted above. It does look pretty great!

Thanks so much! So, you've used it over several years just doing little bits at a time?

Sorry to quote so much!  I’m still figuring out how the whole quote business is conducted.

Yes.  I often pull it out when we need a break from something heavier.  The lessons are short and sweet, but do manage to pack in a lot of content.  I also teach literature and writing classes and often use these poems as ice-breakers to get some discussion started in class.  I’m quite the fan of this book!

• Like 1