Menu

book suggestions: religious asylum

Xahm

One of the Wolf Cub Scout requirements can be met by reading about people who came to America for religious freedom. I'd like to make sure that my kid gets not only the Pilgrims back in the 1600s but also sees that this has happened with a variety of religions in a variety of settings. I can find Pilgrim books easily, and books about immigration in general, but I'm having trouble finding books about other religious asylum seekers. She's a fantastic reader but young enough (7) that books for kids or about kids are far more appealing than those for or about adults. 

Does anyone have suggestions? Mostly about non-Pilgrims, but if you have a great book about Pilgrims, I'd be happy to hear that, too. And if it's people going to a different country than America, that's also good. It won't meet the cub scout requirement, but it will meet mine. 🙂 

Henry's Red Sea or Days of Terror (both by Barbara Smucker) are about Mennonites escaping communist Russia. I would recommend Henry's Red Sea for her age. I think Days of Terror might be too mature and a little scarier. I can't remember if they go to the US or Canada, but one of the two. I use these books when we study our family history.

• Like 1

Do they have to read books or can it be articles?

My DH grew up in Northern California with a large population of Sikhs who had fled religious persecution in India. Then there were the Jewish Ethiopians airlifted to Israel during Operation Solomon.  I am also thinking about Zoroastrian persecution, but you’d need to look that up.  

• Like 1

Thanks, that will be helpful. I think articles would be fine, too. I'm planning on having her read one book about pilgrims, can one about something else, and then getting some more perspective from articles or videos, and having these additional ideas helps with searching.

Hmm...what comes to mind right away is stories about Jews that came to America during WWII.   I don't have specific suggestions but I'm sure there's at least some children's books about this.

I also think you might be able to find some on Christian asylum seekers by asking at Christian bookstores.    You could even just call the stores and ask if they have anything like that which would be appropriate for a younger elementary age child. 

Hmm...there's probably  Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, and other religious bookstores too!    Wouldn't hurt to look them up call some of them and ask about this. 

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1

I don't know if there are books about any of these that would be appropriate for a child, but here are some other historical events that created religious refugees. 

The Jews (and I believe other religious groups believed to be heretical) were "purged" from Spain during the inquisition. 

Because of missionary work in Japan, in 1587 there were more than two hundred thousand Japanese Christians.   In 1588, Cambacundono, the emperor of Japan,  commanded all the Jesuit missionaries to leave his dominions within six months.   Many missionaries remained in secret, but a time of intense anti-Christian persecution had begun. Christian converts were tortured by burning or flaying of their skin until they renounced their faith. If they refused to renounce, they were usually put to death by burning, beheading, or crucifixion.  I'm not sure how many of the Christian converts tried to leave Japan because of this. 

Catholics set up the colony of Maryland to avoid persecution in a similar same way that the pilgrims did.

And I found this picture of Chinese Christian refugees of the Boxer Rebellion.  

Under Communist China and in the USSR, there was persecution of various religions, which lead many to try to flee these countries. 

In modern times I've heard of Kurdish refugees (Kurds being a religious sect of Islam).

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1