Menu

Spellwell level

Targhee

Do you have to start with A and AA? (That was the EPS website recommendation)

Rethinking spelling for dd8 who is 2nd-3rd ish grade.  She completed LOE Foundations A-C and I had intended to go on to Essentials with her because D looked like there wasn’t enough spelling (we’ve fairly well launched for reading).  I have used Essentials before about 6 years ago, and now I am realizing that for this girl we don’t need quiet so intensive of spelling instruction.  She isn’t a natural speller, but not a struggler either.  Can I start with level B? If no is it reasonable to whiz through A and AA? 

Yes we do copywork and dictation, but we still need a bit more spelling instruction for her to see the patterns.

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you how my daughter has done with Spellwell. She breezed through Level A/AA in 2nd grade and breezed through Level B/BB in 3rd grade. This year is 4th grade in Level C/CC and it isn't as easy as previous years. Some weeks she can spell the words correctly on Monday's pretest but then might struggle in some of the daily activities - for example, dividing the syllables correctly, thinking of synonyms or adding new syllables to the spelling words to make new words. Other weeks, she'll miss a bunch of the words on the Monday pre-test but then do fine on the daily activities.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you how my daughter has done with Spellwell. She breezed through Level A/AA in 2nd grade and breezed through Level B/BB in 3rd grade. This year is 4th grade in Level C/CC and it isn't as easy as previous years. Some weeks she can spell the words correctly on Monday's pretest but then might struggle in some of the daily activities - for example, dividing the syllables correctly, thinking of synonyms or adding new syllables to the spelling words to make new words. Other weeks, she'll miss a bunch of the words on the Monday pre-test but then do fine on the daily activities.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! Overall are you happy with the program and how it teaches?

5 hours ago, Targhee said:

Thank you! Overall are you happy with the program and how it teaches?

Yes. I liked Explode the Code and like Spellwell just as much. When I was growing up, we just had weekly lists of random words to memorize. I like the phonics based spelling much better.

• Like 1