Menu

Fun, Quick Halloween Ideas

What’s everyone doing this month for Halloween? I’m looking for quick & fun Halloween-ish ideas to do w/ my 10 yr old. We’re going to ‘Death Weekend’ to celebrate Poe & there’s a local October garden glow festival. We’ll make a scarecrow for our town’s contest & go to a pumpkin patch. My friend told me about ‘poison apples’ & so we’ll also probably make those treats. I’d like to get dry ice or liquid nitrogen & do some fun science with that—any ideas? Since I’m short on time, I need super quick but high interest at-home activities we can do! What ideas do you have? 

Read a ghost story at night by flickering candle light? Here are a few famous ones:

The Signal Man (Charles Dickens) -- read online; listen to an audio version online
The Monkey's Paw (WW Jacobs) -- read online; listen to an audio version online
"The Raven" (Edgar Allen Poe) -- the famous poem -- listen to Christopher Lee read it online; or, read online
Hound of the Baskervilles (Arthur Conan Doyle) -- a novella, OR, one of these shorter creepier Sherlock Holmes short stories: "The Devil's Foot"; "The Speckled Band" -- read online
Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Washington Irving) -- read online -- the actual story may be a bit tough going at this age, so possibly consider watching the different, but fun, Disney animated version

OR, read from these great upper elementary level scary story books:
Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful -- or other in that series
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark -- and sequel volumes
13 Scary Ghost Stories
Favorite Scary Stories of American Children
Tales of Mystery, Suspense and Supernatural

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

... I’d like to get dry ice or liquid nitrogen & do some fun science with that—any ideas? ...

Here's an article with links to some Halloween / dry ice ideas.
Here's a blog article with Halloween science experiments and activities -- some may be young for your child, but others might be fast and fun.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1