Menu

Resume after homeschooling

Familia

What is your experience writing a resume after homeschooling?  My resume is up to date, complete with expected gaps, but I would like to change it.  I would like to do more of a functional resume, but do not know how to demonstrate quantifiable outcomes of my homeschool activities.  The outcomes of scholarships and achievements are because of things I set up, sometimes supervised, occasionally directly directed.  They demonstrate meeting a goal that I set for each child.  If I were a professional tutor, how would it be worded?  I know in other professions, outcomes are measured economically or environmentally, etc.   I feel that I must offer the disclaimer (here, not on resume) that my children were relatively smart and relatively easy to direct, and the accomplishments are theirs, not mine, but there's still something quantifiable on my part, isn't there?

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

I have my resume in front of me right now as I am applying for a job.  (I have a post-homeschooling job, but I want a better one.)

A career adviser suggested I treat homeschooling like any other job.  So: facilitated homeschool education...researched state requirements for... provided instruction... researched, located, and implemented... monitored progress... completed administrative tasks as required by state...   

My resume is set up functionally, with 3 categories titled "Career Highlights" based on my experience:  Customer Service, Training/Teaching, Business Process Analysis. Homeschooling is in the middle of the training/teaching section; I did some volunteer training after homeschooling so that's first, and last is my actual job experience as a corporate trainer pre-kids.

I move the 3 categories around depending on what type of job I am targeting.  For my current job, my Customer Service experience was on top, because that's the kind of job it is.

The only dated things are my current job, my volunteer stint, and homeschooling (9/2003 - 5/2017!).  Then there is a section of "Previous Employment" that is undated but showed I had actual jobs. 

Don't know if this is what you are asking at all! But maybe it will help with some ideas.  I did not think about quantifiable outcomes from homeschooling. They graduated?  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I have my resume in front of me right now as I am applying for a job.  (I have a post-homeschooling job, but I want a better one.)...

...Don't know if this is what you are asking at all! But maybe it will help with some ideas.  I did not think about quantifiable outcomes from homeschooling. They graduated?  

Thank you so much, Marbel.   Discussing it is so helpful, so I guess that is mainly what I am asking, for examples of how other's treated the experience.

My interest in presenting quantifiable outcomes is based on what I read over and over again that employers want to see.  So, how much money or time (or, in my husband's case, how many earth resources), did one save by their endeavors.  I am thinking of the scholarships earned, that, perhaps, show my hard work 'paid' in some way.  (the accomplishment thread is so on my mind these last few days, that I just keep stumbling over my words with this part).  Anyway, I guess my most current 'real' job is best worded in a skill/action format rather than quantity, that quantifiability doesn't really matter, because I want my experiences parallel.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1