Menu

Curriculum Recs: World Explorers

sweetpea3829

Perhaps you saw my post asking for curriculum recommendations for 8th grade Ancients...

My 5th graders (DS 11, and DS 10) finished the Story of the World four year elementary rotation this past year.  This coming year, they will be studying World Explorers.  I would love to hear any and all suggestions on how you would go about teaching such a course.  Do you know of any curricula choices that specifically survey this topic?  Can you suggest anything fun, or out of the box?  Literature series such as Time Warp Trios, or some such?  Video series that I can perhaps rent from the library?  

Project suggestions?  (self-directed is best, but I can help)

Lapbooks?  I mean...whatever you can think of, throw it at me!  I'd love to hear!  

Thanks so much! 

I'm currently doing discovery age with SOTW, so I don't have a proper spine recommendation. But we did read some extra fun books that your 5th grader might like.

Explorers Who Got Lost was a huge hit with my second grader, but I think it would go well with older kids too. It reads like a story and is full of information. You can read about each specific explorer as you learn about them.

The World Made New was a good resource to learn the impact the discoveries had in the world and in America.

Besides that we read a lot of fun biography type books like "You wouldn't want to sail with Christopher Colombus" and the "Who was..." series