Menu

CAP W&R 2019-2020

Link to Last Year’s Thread: 

We are new to W&R, & excited to be getting underway! I loved reading through this thread last year; since we just got started I thought I’d continue it for anyone who’d like to participate. I’ll do my best to update with my son’s work each week. Happy writing! 

• Like 1

Since we are just getting started I have my son dictate these into a recorder, then I type them up. We’re in Fable (level one).

Narration: The Lion and the Mouse

A Lion lay asleep in the shady forest, his head resting on his paws... The Lion woke up from a little mouse scurrying over his face. He grabbed the mouse in anger. The mouse begged for him to let him go. He said he would pay him back, but the Lion just laughed. The Lion laughed when the Mouse said he would repay him because what could a little mouse do to repay him? But one time he got caught in a net. The Mouse recognized his roars, and he came back and gnawed the ropes, and eventually set the Lion free. The mouse said “You laughed at me when I said I would repay you.” 

Rewrite: The Penguin and the Fish

One early morning the penguins had just woken up when Henry Penguin saw a little Fish on the ice. He waddled over, and scooped him up, and almost ate him but the fish squealed. He told him to let him go and one day he would repay him. The Penguin just peeped - Chee-hee-hehe-eep! The poor Fish finally got let go; the Penguin let him go. One day, the Penguin got caught by a Fisherman. The Penguin peeped in anger! The Fish recognized the peep and came swimming back. In no time he nibbled through the rope that was hanging onto the hook, and pulled it out of the Penguin’s beak. The Fish said “You laughed at me when I said I would repay you, but even though I’m small, that doesn’t mean I can’t do big things.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DS was really excited about these, so we doubled up this week. Lesson 2: 

Narration: Three Bulls and the Lion

A Lion was watching three young Bulls feeding in a field… He tried to attack the Bulls many times, but they stuck together to help each other draw him away. It is so hard [not] to watch a tasty meal, evenwhen you have a zero percent chance of getting it! One time the three little Bulls fought over a patch of clover. The lion came after them. They were on separate corners of the field; as far as possible from each other. He took out the Bulls and ate them one by one, and he was full with satisfaction. 

Amplification: The Hunter and the Doves

A flock of pretty gray and white Doves spotted some golden berry seeds scattered on the ground. A couple seeds still had part of the berry on them. When they flew down to eat the seeds a Hunter hiding in the tree above dropped a net upon them. When the net came down the Doves left the seeds and tried to get away, but they were too slow. The net slapped down their wings. They were trapped! The Hunter had a gun about the size of himself, and aimed at the Doves. Before he shot he said “The seeds were just a trick!” He shot and missed. Keeping his head, the King Dove told the other Doves to each lift up a string of the net and flap her wings before the hunter shot again. If the hunter shot again, he might hit! But they got away right before he shot. But barely. So the Doves were able to lift each other and carry the net off as they escaped through the air. 

And here’s his work from Lesson 3. He also narrated another fable of his own creation. I’d say W&R is a hit! 😅

Narration: The Crow and the Pitcher

The weather was burning hot, and the birds could find nothing to drink… There was one thirsty Crow, and one time the bird found a pitcher and it had a little bit of water in the bottom. But the pitcher was so tall and the neck was so narrow that the crow couldn’t reach the water. It doesn’t matter how hard she tried. But the Crow came up with an idea. Her idea was she took some pebbles and one by one plopped them into the pitcher and every pebble made the water go higher, and higher, and higher until she could finally drink it.  

Amplification: The Crow and the Pitcher

There was a Crow dying of thirst. She looked everywhere: the creek beds, the ponds, the fountains, the bird baths, even the waterfalls. No water. She started to cry. She was so thirsty [and] tired. Her wings ached after flying all day. She thought about maybe resting on a tree, but she couldn’t: she HAD to find water. She kept going and going until she found a pitcher with a little bit of water in the bottom. But the neck was too thin, and narrow, and so tall that it does not matter how hard she tried, and what she tried she couldn’t get it - until she came up with an idea. Pebbles! She never used pebbles! She plunked little pebbles into the pitcher and in a little while the water was high enough to drink. 

Summary: The Hare and the Partridge

One day a pack of bad dogs came. They attacked the Hare, and he died. After the dogs left the Partridge came. He said “You thought you were fast. You thought you could beat the dogs. Wrong.” Then a hawk came and killed the Partridge. 

• 2 weeks later...

The book finally arrived. Here's DS' rewrite for lesson 1. He gets a little carried away with extraneous details, especially near the end of his stories.

The Mouse and the Spider

A mouse lay asleep in his mouse hole resting his little head on his paws. A spider crawled up on top of the mouse's back fur and settled down to sleep. Awoken from his nap, the mouse seized the spider and got ready to devour it.

The spider pleaded for mercy. "Oh, please don't eat me and some day I'll help you."

The mouse laughed so hard that you could hear it in every room of the mouse tunnel. But since he was a kind mouse he let the spider go.

One day the mouse was stealing a bit of cheese from the pantry and saw a little more on a mysterious wood plank. As he raced for the cheese the second he put his paw on the cheese a horseshoe-shaped metal object slapped over his back. Up above on the ceiling the spider was watching all the commotion. He slid down by his web and spun two strands from the corners of the mouse trap to the plank, forcing it open. 

"Now you know even a spider can help a mouse," said the spider.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’re back from our detour. The play is still underway, about half to two-thirds complete, but he needed a change of pace again so here we are! 😊 Lesson 4:

Narration: The Fox & the Grapes

A fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine, twisting around the branches of a tree. The fox was really thirsty. The grapes looked more juicy than ever - they looked like the most juicy grapes in Greece! - but they were so high. So he went and he tried to jump to get them. He failed every time. He said to himself “Those grapes are probably sour anyways. I wouldn’t eat them if they were an inch off the ground,” and he walked off.

Sentence Imitation 

Model: Those are probably the sweetest, most delicious grapes in all of Greece!
Those are probably the best, juiciest lemons in Lebanon!
That’s probably the sweetest, yummiest soda in Singapore!
These are probably the most sweet-smelling, beautiful roses in Rwanda! 

Rewrite: The Cat and the Mouse

Once upon a time there was a cat that lived happily in his little house. One day he discovered a mouse hole. He saw the mouse running towards it. He chased after it! It was too fast. The cat just ran into the wall, head-first. So he tried to stick his paw in to claw the mouse out. He tried over and over again; he still could not get it. The cat said to himself “Eh, I bet anyway that’s the grossest, worst mouse ever. I wouldn’t eat it if it was here on the floor,” and he trotted off. 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

On 9/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, Sarah0000 said:

The book finally arrived. Here's DS' rewrite for lesson 1. He gets a little carried away with extraneous details, especially near the end of his stories.

His rewrite is great! I love reading these stories.

DS told me this week “I like amplification way better than summarizing.” Yes, my loquacious one... of course you do! 😅

Lesson 5:

The Ass and His Driver

An ass was being driven along a road leading down the mountainside, and the animal suddenly took it in his silly head to choose his own path. They were going down a mountainside. He saw his barn up ahead, down the mountain. The foolish ass tried to jump off a cliff. His master jumped on his tail and told him “Stop!” but he still wouldn’t stop. So he let the donkey go. He tumbled head-over-heels down and killed himself on the bottom of the cliff. His master happily went to the bottom by foot. 

Amplification: The Ass and His Driver

An Ass wanted to take the shortest path home by going over a mountain cliff. His master tried to stop him and grabbed his tail, but at last he was forced to let go. The stubborn beast fell to his death.

The hungry Ass and his happy master were walking along the path, which was on the snowy mountains. From the top of the mountains the Ass could see his barn full of food, so he tried to jump off the cliff to get to it. His master grabbed him by the tail. The Ass wiggled and waggled so much that it threw his master onto the ground and the silly ass fell all the way, head-over-heels, into ice and killed himself. 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

• 2 weeks later...

We took last week off, opting instead for a mid-week camping trip! DS is hand-writing his retelling for the first time (woohoo!) so that’s not quite done yet; I’ll try to post it next week. For now: 

Narration: The Mice In Counsel

Something had to be done about the cat. The mice had not been able to have peace – any day, day or night because of the evil cat. They had to think of a plan fast. They spent all day and all night thinking of a plan. They discussed many plans, but none of them sounded right. Then young mouse woke up. He said “I have a plan. It is a very simple plan, but it will work. All we have to do is put a bell on the cat’s neck, so we’ll know when the enemy is coming. “That’s a great idea,” they thought. “How did we not think of that?” they thought - and they all shouted “Hoorah for young mouse!”Then the old mouse woke up and went “Hey… young mouse’s plan is a good idea, but I have a question.” “Yes?” they asked. “Who is gonna bell the cat?” 

He did it! I recorded his retelling & he was able to write it out, one sentence at a time, from the recording. 🥳 We haven’t discussed paragraphs yet, obviously. I’m planning to introduce them with MCT Town next year.

For those no longer fluent in phonetic spelling: 

“Something has to be done about the pike,” said Emily the perch. Not a day went past without a brother, sister, aunt, or uncle getting eaten by the pike.

Emily brought all the perch to the center of the pond. Then they all started making plans to try to keep themselves from getting eaten by the evil pike. 

Day after day went past, but no plan sounded good enough. Finally, a young perch named Sophia got up and said “I have a plan. We need to trick the pike by using bait, to have him come, and have something sharp under it to hurt him so he won’t come back!” 

All the perch thought about this. The next day, they agreed [it was the best plan]. But one old perch, named John, got up and said “Who will put the bait on the hook?” 

0DE88BE2-CB98-416C-AE09-C94AD839BD68.jpeg