Menu

Math Facts Review with Saxon Intermediate

Lecka

Hi, I have a 10-year-old starting Saxon Intermediate 3.  He is very strong with addition facts, and he is okay with subtraction facts.  He is starting multiplication facts and does great with x2 and x5.  I was starting x4 with him before starting Saxon Intermediate 3.  

So far there has been no multiplication (edit — as far as facts practice/drill) in Saxon 3.  The introduction to skip-counting by 7s is going Very Well; I can’t believe how well it is going.  

I’m not really sure how to review math facts with him right now.  

I am not worried about addition facts, but I don’t know if there will be enough review of subtraction facts.  And then he needs to work on multiplication facts and skip counting.

I’m not sure if I should be adding more facts/skip-counting practice?

I think I will be able to tell as time goes by, but I’m curious what other people do.  

Edited by Lecka

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

Hi, I have a 10-year-old starting Saxon Intermediate 3.  He is very strong with addition facts, and he is okay with subtraction facts.  He is starting multiplication facts and does great with x2 and x5.  I was starting x4 with him before starting Saxon Intermediate 3.  

So far there has been no multiplication (edit — as far as facts practice/drill) in Saxon 3.  The introduction to skip-counting by 7s is going Very Well; I can’t believe how well it is going.  

I’m not really sure how to review math facts with him right now.  

I am not worried about addition facts, but I don’t know if there will be enough review of subtraction facts.  And then he needs to work on multiplication facts and skip counting.

I’m not sure if I should be adding more facts/skip-counting practice?

I think I will be able to tell as time goes by, but I’m curious what other people do.  

I did several different things to cement math facts with my older kids.

Played card games from Right Start

wrote multiplication problems on the white board everday in the summer..2 numbers per day

sang skip counting songs (ala classical converations songs)

played Timez Attack

did the Times Tales book

kumon books for addtion, sub, div, multi

played roll the dice games

We especially emphasized this each summer.

• Like 1