Menu

Hey, Quill, I made your cherry pie for for the first time...

Valley Girl

...and it was delicious. It was the recipe you posted in the thread below. May I ask your advice? I used canned sour cherries. Are the cherries supposed to break apart as you cook the filling? Mine did. If that's not what should happen, can you tell me what you do to prevent it? I don't think I overstirred, but maybe I did. Also, you mentioned in the thread that you use a top and bottom crust instead of the single crust listed in the recipe. How long do you bake yours? I baked mine 10 minutes at 450, then another 45 minutes at 350. (This was the time my baking cooking recommended for canned cherry pie.) I'm just wondering if that's too long. The pie filling held together well. I'm just thinking maybe it was a tad too dry and was wondering what your baking time and temp were. I figured I'd post my questions here rather than send a pm since other people likely saved the recipe as I did. If you have time to answer, thank you!!

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/680757-everyone-was-so-crabby-in-the-grocery-store-today/

I do try to stir it gently, so the cherry breakage is minimal, but yes, they are bound to break up some no matter. I don’t think it’s a flaw because you want some juice to combine with the cornstarch to make the thick body of the filling. I bake mine 30 minutes at 400. I cover the edges for half of this baking, so the crust does not burn on the edges. 

Did you use Oregon cherries? Or some other brand? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Quill said:

I do try to stir it gently, so the cherry breakage is minimal, but yes, they are bound to break up some no matter. I don’t think it’s a flaw because you want some juice to combine with the cornstarch to make the thick body of the filling. I bake mine 30 minutes at 400. I cover the edges for half of this baking, so the crust does not burn on the edges. 

Did you use Oregon cherries? Or some other brand? 

Thank you for replying! I'll definitely try the 30 minutes at 400 next time. I used Lucky Leaf brand. I had tried a pie using fresh sweet cherries earlier in the season, but DH said he prefers the tart ones. Fresh sour cherries seem hard to find.

• Like 2