Menu

S/O Digital scrapbooking questions

I've only heard of digital scrapping in passing until I checked the links in the other tread. I'm now thinking that is an interesting concept. I also have questions.

The biggest question is about printing. Do you just print the pages on cardstock or some type of specialty paper?

If the whole point of scrapbooking is to organize photos, what do you do with your film photos after you scrapbook them digitally?

Back to printing, Do you have to have a specialized printer? Ink?

What kind of albums do you print the printed pages in?

I've come across some tutorials on the links given in the other thread but they all cost money to look at. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial that is free?

Any other info you can give that I haven't thought of would be helpful. This looks like something I want to do.

TIA

The biggest question is about printing. Do you just print the pages on cardstock or some type of specialty paper? I make 8x8 pages mostly and print them on 8.5 x 11 photo paper. I trim it down after printing. You can find online places that print larger sizes (12x12), but I don't want to spend the money for that. My kids use digital scrapbooking for their school notebook pages. I just print those on regular paper. (See my blog for examples.)

If the whole point of scrapbooking is to organize photos, what do you do with your film photos after you scrapbook them digitally? I keep them in the original location, just like I would my 35mm negatives.

Back to printing, Do you have to have a specialized printer? Ink? I have an HP C7180. It's an inkjet.

What kind of albums do you print the printed pages in? I got an 8x8 scrapbook album from Hobby Lobby.

I've come across some tutorials on the links given in the other thread but they all cost money to look at. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial that is free? There are definitely free tutorials. If you use GIMP, here's a link to one. I've seen Photoshop ones, too, but I don't remember where. I use Creating Keepsakes digital scrapbook software which is cheap and easy to use.

at scrapbooking. But I do use Shutterfly dot com to make photobooks, which is similar to digital scrapbooking, but they give you layouts & backgrounds & places to type captions. The end result is a hard-backed, glossy book with glossy pages (so none of the layers you get in real scrapbooking) that comes in the mail. There is a way to go more advanced and a whole group dedicated to those who exchange page templates, but as I said, I'm lame. FWIW, everyone likes my photobooks and they look nice even on the shelf becuase I personalized the spine.

I upload all my photos to Shutterfly (this service is free) and organize them online. I have very few actual photos in my house. I also can choose to have actual photos sent via USPS anywhere at a reasonable rate (I think like .12 per photo + nominal shipping fee).

I think there are other sites like this, but Shutterfly is very user friendly for me.

The biggest question is about printing. Do you just print the pages on cardstock or some type of specialty paper?

This will depend upon the quality of the print image and longevity you desire. For example, I have a wonderful Epson Photo R1800, which prints up to a 12x12 image (no white edges). Using plain paper makes a really ugly color print -- however, I can use WorldWin (a paper brand) cardstock and do very well. The print won't last as long as using the Epson Premiere Matte, which has a lifetime rating of something like 200 years. If I'm making a gift for Grandma (usually smaller copies of what I've made for myself), I'll use the Worldwin. If I'm making a heritage project, which I want to last for greater than my lifetime, or my children's -- I'll pull out the good stuff :D

If the whole point of scrapbooking is to organize photos, what do you do with your film photos after you scrapbook them digitally?

Honestly, once I've scanned them -- I don't store them. But, I usually hand-scrap my prints, for the most part. I have them backed up in 3 different places, a DVD, on-line and on a computer drive back-up. Now, if we're talking about my mom's or grandparents' photos that I'm scanning, they go into a photo storage system.

Back to printing, Do you have to have a specialized printer? Ink?

I have an Epson R1800 printer and the smaller version which use the multiple ink cartridges.

What kind of albums do you print the printed pages in?

Again, it depends on what I'm doing. For me, I'll use either the Maple Lane Press Albums made by EK Success or the Colorbok Perfect one -- for my school-year album, I have a custom album made by Timeless Tapestry with the school year embroidered on the spine. For gifts to Grandma... whatever I can find :D

ALSO, there are complete-online book-type albums, in which you only pay for the finished products... you can see one at www.craftershome.com under photo services. The books are bound, and you can even create your own covers. They still can cost about $20+ depending upon the size, style and number of pages -- but it's really just an upload your photos and go...

I've come across some tutorials on the links given in the other thread but they all cost money to look at. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial that is free?

I'll do some checking and get back to you:D

Lisa

I've only heard of digital scrapping in passing until I checked the links in the other tread. I'm now thinking that is an interesting concept. I also have questions.

The biggest question is about printing. Do you just print the pages on cardstock or some type of specialty paper?I get mine printed 12 x 12 at Scrapbook Picture . com. They do an awesome job! You can also print 3-4 at a time (12 x 12 size) at Sams or Costco using their poster size prints. I haven't tried that though.

If the whole point of scrapbooking is to organize photos, what do you do with your film photos after you scrapbook them digitally? Well, I usually only print the ones I am going to frame, scrapbook traditionally, or give to someone. I print only a fraction of the photos I take. The rest get posted on the blog, scrapbooked digitally, or never used. I make photo CD's of them and just store the CDs. The thousands of photos (and large PS files) on your computer will slow it down, so I try to get them *off* of there.

Back to printing, Do you have to have a specialized printer? Ink? I don't have a large format printer, so I couldn't print 12 x 12s from home. I don't care for the quality of photos printed at home myself, so rarely do that. I always get them printed at scrapbook pictures or Sams.

What kind of albums do you print the printed pages in? Regualr 12 x 12 albums for me, unless I am making an album in smaller format. Any album will work- just print them out and stick em in!

Not off the top of my head, but try Jessica Sprague's website. She has a ton of Photoshop Fridays free tutorials and lessons, as well as paid classes. Designer Digitals has lots of free stuff to use, too.

Any other info you can give that I haven't thought of would be helpful. This looks like something I want to do.

I really like digital scrapbooking- less stuff to cart around! Its perfectly do-able without a fancy program (ie PS or whatnot), you can use Photoshop Elements (its around $50) and get results just as good. It is also possible to digitally scrapbook in Powerpoint, of all things. I did that some before buying PSE. Have fun!

TIA

Have fun!

The biggest question is about printing. Do you just print the pages on cardstock or some type of specialty paper? I print on EPSON Scrapbooking Paper either 12x12 or 8.5 x 11 depending on the size of my project. As previously mentioned with the EPSON inks paired with this paper there is a 200 year life expectancy.

If the whole point of scrapbooking is to organize photos, what do you do with your film photos after you scrapbook them digitally? I scrapped all my printed photos the traditional way. I have only started digital scrapbooking with photos since I started using a digital camera. DH has some old printed photos, but I will not scrapbook all of those. We will store them in a photo-safe place and I might scan a few for some pages later. At any rate, the whole point of scrapbooking for me is to tell stories. It has little to do with organizing photos. That is a separate thing entirely.

Back to printing, Do you have to have a specialized printer? Ink? I have the EPSON 1400. I only use EPSON inks. This ESPON is a large format printer I treated myself to earlier this year. I like to do hybrid pages (start digital and add traditional elements after printing) so I love this printer. Before I was almost completely digital and had my pages printed at www.scrapbookpictures.com. I printed 12x12 and saved my pages until they had their big sales. They make wonderful photo prints. These pages were on photo paper and simply slide into the page protector on their own. Putting two back to back makes them very sturdy -- no other pages are needed.

What kind of albums do you print the printed pages in? I use American Crafts cloth albums.

I've come across some tutorials on the links given in the other thread but they all cost money to look at. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial that is free? I second JessicaSprague.com. Also BigPictureScrapbooking.com has a couple of free digital tutorials.

Any other info you can give that I haven't thought of would be helpful. This looks like something I want to do. If you go to the Adobe website you can download a free 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements. Here are a couple of links to blog posts I wrote with lists of digi scrapping resources:

http://everydaysnapshots.blogspot.com/2007/12/digital-scrapbooking-resources.html

http://everydaysnapshots.blogspot.com/2007/12/couple-more.html

Have fun, but watch out. It's addictive!