Menu

Can someone explain this to me?

MicheleB

As you know, both my sons have a visual processing disorder and have trouble making sense of spatial arrangements, etc.

However, my 8yo has always loved Legos and those Cybertron toys that convert into another toy. He doesn't need the directions and just figures it out.

MIL recently gave him a bunch of little lego pieces -- a building kit-- that was missing instructions and pictures, and ds has been building all kinds of things with them. He'll play with them for an hour at a time.

Yesterday, he built an elaborate A-frame structure with graduating entrances, each one a bit higher than the one in front of it, and patterned sides that were symmetrical.

I don't understand this. How can he do this, but not be able to remember how a letter 't' is placed? Or fit pieces into a game correctly?

I'm just wondering if I can capitalize on this skill in teaching him other things, like letters and numbers?

I think that is very interesting.

Some things that could be different: tests of visual processing are 2-D, not 3-D. The lego manipulation is hands on, whereas tests of visual processing are eyes and pencil or words.

The lego manipulation does not involve symbols.

I"m not sure what the actual activity is that you're describing in "fitting pieces into a game correctly." Would the game pieces be flat?

I think you are asking a really key question. Hold onto it until you have the answer. I think it's likely that there is a way to capitalize on this strength indirectly with teaching symbols, but perhaps more important, he is exhibiting a mechanical skill that could well be his "niche" that will be the place he can shine as an adult. So keep those Lego, k'nex, etc. activities coming, and give him some real life tools, etc as well. In other words, develop the strength with the same passion that you're putting into figuring out how to remediate the weaknesses.

Thanks, Laurie. It really is something that makes me scratch my head and say, "Hmmmm...."

I agree with you that Legos aren't symbols and that could be it. But take for example the game Perfection, where you fit different shaped pieces in their respective slots. He doesn't do well with that kind of thing. Or even making sense of perhaps how a piece of clothing would go if it's reversed, or upside down. It's strange.

I wish I could think of something to do with Legos that would be letter and number oriented. I'll have to think on that or see if perhaps there is already something out there like that.

My son doesn't have visual processing problems, he has sensory ones, so take this suggestion from someone just trying to brainstorm with you. Get the legos out and ask him to create/build several numbers or letters of the alphabet. If he can do that then you will know that at least he understands and knows the numbers/letters, he just has a hard time getting them out and on to paper.

My son doesn't have visual processing problems, he has sensory ones, so take this suggestion from someone just trying to brainstorm with you. Get the legos out and ask him to create/build several numbers or letters of the alphabet. If he can do that then you will know that at least he understands and knows the numbers/letters, he just has a hard time getting them out and on to paper.

Excellent idea! I had him make a "T" today and he did fine. I think we will definitely be working on this a lot. Thank you! :001_smile: