Menu

LA - yet ANOTHER questions x-posted

SereneHome

It seems that I have asked a million questions re: LA already, but I need opinions again

This time it's about my 9yr old - 3rd grader, DS2.  We are on week 13 of WWE3 and he is doing fairly OK with both narration and dictation.  But he says he is bored. 

I started my 10yr old 5th grader DS1, on EIW a few months back and he likes it, while he hated WWE and wasn't that good at it (although I made him complete WWE1-WWE3)

So, my question is - do I make DS2 complete WWE3 or switch him to EIW now?  I have two concerns. 1 - lack of perseverance - not everything in life is fun and 2 - I firmly believe that doing narration and dictation is important and I don't think EIW has that.

Other than that, we only do AAS for LA.

So, thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Very thankful to you all

You do some dictation with AAS, no?  Isn't it part of the exercises?

My full thoughts, though: I'd stick it out for the end of the year or semester, whichever comes first in your house.  There are some parts of language arts my 9yo says he is "bored" with, but they are often skills he needs to work on.  However, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  We do dictation with our spelling program, not writing program.  Narration, grammar, and writing are often wrapped up together.  Like, I took Treasured Conversations and started expanding it to stories ds liked better: Greek myths, fables, short, silly stories.  I just typed up my own paragraphs but used the same lesson system as TC.  It cemented the lessons on how to write paragraphs with something he ENJOYED writing about.

We also practice narration in history, science, and reading.  I pick a lesson a day for him to condense, talk about, and write a short summary.  It's how the first WTM talked about doing narrations.

However, nothing is perfect.  DS has requested to return to his old language arts program (ELTL) in the fall because he really liked how integrated everything was.  There was copywork, grammar, dictation (if we chose) and narration all connected to the literature books.  Since he enjoys it and it still has everything I'm looking for at his age, I don't see any problem in honoring that request.  We'll finish this section in TC but save the third and last section if he needs the help later.

• Like 1