Menu

Compare Breaking the Barrier and Language City (Self Study)

Can anyone compare Breaking the Barrier and Language City self-study? I'm looking for French 1 for rising 9th grader.

I think I understand the gist of BtB...textbook with workbook, etc and/or the iBook version. Can be used separately or together, right? Essentially we're on our own though, so I would certainly utilize a French tutor.

I don't understand what is included with Language City self study. Watch the recorded videos and then what? They do the course work/homework and turn in for a grade just like the live classes? Is there a schedule or totally self-paced?

Thanks for any help!

We’ve ended up using both plus a French (CLE) grammar workbook. I like the native speaker who does Language City, but the organization of the course makes it difficult to review material. There are worksheets that can be completed in the course with answers available as well as tests.

Next year we’re going to use a tutor + B th B because it works best for me, but I’m sure we’ll use the Language City Videos for review. Once you buy it you have it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

We’ve ended up using both plus a French (CLE) grammar workbook. I like the native speaker who does Language City, but the organization of the course makes it difficult to review material. There are worksheets that can be completed in the course with answers available as well as tests.

Next year we’re going to use a tutor + B th B because it works best for me, but I’m sure we’ll use the Language City Videos for review. Once you buy it you have it.

Thanks! I think I've read every thread on French classes, and I know your name has popped up a lot! I have a tutor lined up already, so I just need to decide which option to go with! For B th B, do you utilize the print or iBook versions? Or Both? I like the look of the iBook version but I'm still a little old school and like print!

I like the flash card feature in the iBook and we do use the tests. For next year I think I’ll see how much the tutor assigns. We might get away with iBook and tests. We did use the work book for the first level. The workbook and iBook exercises are the same, but the answers are maybe too handy in the iBook.