Menu

Last pre high school year at home

dS is in year 8 (grade 7) which here is the last year before high school.  We discussed him coming home for this year at the end of last year but he got a new teacher we liked so decided against it.  Not even 1/4 the way through the year he is weepy and claims boredom and resistant to school.  Since he has always mostly gone to school for lunchtime play and is now reading at lunchtime I think the problem is actually teenage angst combined with the fact most of his school friends went high school this year.  Also with just me and the boys having ds9 and me together all the time while he goes to school is making the family unit a bit strained.  I want me time when he needs me.  I can't help thinking that at this point what we would give up would be made up for just being together more when not exhausted.  

At the moment I work from 5.30 to 7.30 am, 1 to 4 PM and 9 to 10 PM.  If I didn't have to spend 1.5 hours getting him organised and out the door I could keep working until 9.30 and free up a few afternoons for homeschool group activities. dS12 does need more social time than ds9 but he can also be dropped off somewhere without risking a violent meltdown.

He is doing AOPS PA so he could keep doing that.

History and Science we can do together or he could do a history overview.

He could do Excavating English which I have rather than Latin with ds9.

Writing though is his least favourite and my hardest to teach.  Ds9 is doing Wordsmith Apprentice but dS12 needs something else?  Would you try WWS1?  He has done school stuff but also WWE1 and 2 plus EiW3 a few years ago when the school instruction wasn't working.