Menu

Is TOG too much for 1st grade?

ruthie5573

We are just about to wrap up MFW K5. We have really loved it! I have been drawn to TOG for a while, but I'm just not sure if it's the right place for us at this stage of our lives or if it'd be too much for me to organize and teach for a 1st grader. My kids are 5, 3, and 2...so would I be biting off too much to try TOG next year? Thanks in advance!

We are just about to wrap up MFW K5. We have really loved it! I have been drawn to TOG for a while, but I'm just not sure if it's the right place for us at this stage of our lives or if it'd be too much for me to organize and teach for a 1st grader. My kids are 5, 3, and 2...so would I be biting off too much to try TOG next year? Thanks in advance!

My answer is Yes and No. I love TOG and if you know you want to use it in the future, it might be good to get it now and start using it. If you are just looking for a first grade curriculum, then I think it is way overkill. Personally, I wouldn't trade the 4 years we had with SOTW, but if you really want to start TOG, I would just do the reading, the mapwork and the projects. This is similar to what SOTW is (in fact you TOG schedules SOTW readings as an alternate book) and keep it really fun and hands on and not get too bogged down in all the details of the curruculum and use the time for you to get familiar with the curriculum. The best thing about TOG is that it is as much or as little as you want to make it.

Again, my answer really depends on what you intend to do long term. I loved doing SOTW for 4 years and then moving into TOG. It was a good transition for us.

I thought it was entirely too much for a 2nd grader and 1st grader together. I know - edit, edit, edit - but I still felt like a loser for only getting 25% of what they suggested done. Some people are fine with it - I couldn't deal with it. I will use it in the future with older kids - but SOTW with AG and additional reading is a great fir for us.

That said, I have a strong reader who can handle the reading without me looking over his shoulder. TOG does an excellent job choosing age appropriate books. Just hand them to your Lower/Upper Grammar student; that allows me time to go teach my younger one to read.

I've used it for two years with LG/UG student