Menu

MIF vs Primary Singapore Math

Janeway

I just have a question about this. I have always used the Primary Edition (US Edition, but do have some 3rd editions). My daughter is in 1st grade at a school that uses Math In Focus. She is bringing home work such as...middle of the school year, first grade... 528+257. She had regrouping in subtraction and addition, up to three digits, in mid first grade. Now, a couple weeks ago, she was bringing home mental math to the effect of 34+56. In my Singapore Math 1B book..the mental math was more along the lines of adding 9's  and 8's and kept to adding in single digits. There were no charts that showed to add the tens first and then the ones like in the Singapore Math book. The 34+56 type problems were in 3A and beginning of 3B. 

I am wondering if it is possible that the teacher has made her own worksheets and maybe did not realize the progression? I know the teacher told me that she used Saxon math when she was growing up and preferred. Honestly, based on what I am seeing, I think I might prefer Saxon over MIF.