Menu

Musing about calorie counting , measuring food and making changes in general

Lady Florida.

I confess I didn't think it would work. It was annoying and time consuming imo and I thought I could eyeball correct portions. I'm admitting I was wrong. I did a trial of WW last year around this time but when the 3 month trial ended I decided I didn't want to continue paying the monthly cost. Plus I didn't like the point system. A couple of threads here on the Chat Board directed me to the free My Fitness Pal which I really like. I did end up paying for the premium version so I could get access to a bit more, but it's still way less than a monthly WW subscription.

Both WW then MFP were working and I was slowly shedding pounds according to my low level goal of 1/2 pound a week. Then I got cocky again. I can do this. I did a few months of calorie counting and food recording so now I can handle it on my own. Oops. The weight started coming back. So a few months ago I went back to being diligent about portion size, calorie counting, and recording it all and sure enough, the weight started coming off again. I'm willing to concede that it makes a difference for me.

For most of my life I was a skinny person who could eat as much as I want of whatever I liked. I was one of those people who often got told, "You're so skinny. I hate you!" My stepfather used to say I had hollow legs because nothing I ate added weight to my body. People said it would change when I got older but I was 40 and still skinny as a rail, still eating the same way I always did. Then I gave birth at age 41 and my metabolism changed drastically. Then I became a sahm and less physically active as I once was, even more so as ds got older and I didn't have to keep up with him as when he was an active toddler and young child. On top of that were back pain problems that limited my activities. Little by little my body and my lifestyle changed but I didn't change my eating habits to match those changes. I didn't have to change what I eat because my diet, though not perfect, was pretty good and definitely better than that of many Americans (at least according to what I read Americans like to eat). It was how much and how often I ate that needed closer scrutiny.

Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there that if there's something you're resisting because you think you know yourself and the situation, it never hurts to try and make changes. You might find out you were right after all, or you might surprise yourself like I did. I'm not just talking about weight loss  or diet changes, but anything that could fit this idea of "I know what I'm doing. I don't need to change." Or, "I can change it on my own without help."

***DISCLAIMER*** I'm not trying to tell anyone that it's as simple as counting calories and portions. I know there are many factors involved in weight issues, including but not limited to heredity, metabolism, body type, and numerous health conditions. I'm just saying that I myself was foolish to think I could do it on my own without paying closer attention to my portions and calories. And I'm saying that sometimes when we think we know what we're doing, we really don't. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4