Menu

Outlines for SOTW1?

The outlines included in the activity book for SOTW4 have been awesome for my daughter.  We will be cycling back through SOTW1 next year (we have younger kiddos too and try to keep everyone on the same topics for history).  Has anyone developed outlines for SOTW1?  And more generally, do other parents have suggestions for adapting SOTW1 for 4th/5th graders?  (I'm planning on assigning additional reading from the Kingfisher and Usborne history encyclopedias- are there other ideas?)  Thanks!

I had my daughter outline sections from library books related to what we were studying in history. She didn't always read the entire book.  Sometimes she would read a section on a topic of interest and then outline the section.  Outlining from the Kingfisher proved tricky because it's very encyclopedic. As far as adapting SOTW for older students, we simply read the section in SOTW as a family and then my older students went off and did the work outlined in TWTM. A three-day plan looked something like this:

Hope this helps.

History 

Ancients 5000 B.C. – A.D. 400 

“The First Writing” 

o SOTW: Ch. 3, Section 1: “Hieroglyphs and Cuneiform”

o KHE: “Summer and Akkad, 5000-1600 B.C.”, pp. 9-10

o Fact: List 6-8 of the most important facts, in your own words and in complete sentences.

o Narrative Summary: Write a narrative summary of today’s reading

“The First Writing” 

o SOTW: This Ch. Only has one section otherwise, the pages for section 2 would be listed here.

o Additional Reading: Title of library book

o Outline: Two-level outline on topic of interest.

o Map Work: Student p. 8

“The First Writing” 

o Additional Reading:

o Narrative Summary:

o Timeline: Add important dates to your time line along with the accompanying caption (we get these dates from the SOTW or the Kingfisher Encyclopedia)

o Hands-On Activity: Make cuneiform tablet.

• Like 1

I found SOTW too narrative to really outline. I like using the encylopedias for that age. If I am remembering correctly we used the Usborne Encylopedia of the Ancient World. My dd read the entry, outlined it, watched a video or two, then made a scrapbook page entry for it. It was really fun and quite the keepsake. We also listened to the SOTW chapters as well. 

• Like 1