Menu

Resources on how to make lesson plans, please!

I would like to learn how to make lesson plans! I usually have a spreadsheet and write rough notes on what to accomplish for a week and go on from there. I am teaching a co-op class this winter and I would like to make a proper lesson plan and stick to it. I need to learn how to do this. Please point me to resources that I can get ideas from. TIA.

I learned a three column format(the middle column is largest by far). At the top, you write the goals for the lesson. Then, left column is a good estimate of how much time each step should take. Middle column is a description of what you and students will be doing. Right column is notes for you to keep in mind, like "introducing new material. Ok if students don't fully understand." Or "this step crucial. Make sure all students see relationship between a and b."  Always plan for enough to cover at least 125% of the allotted time, and now in that this column which activities can be skipped if short on time or should only be used if there is ample time. 

I used that for teaching language, where many shorter activities worked best. A different format might be better for a lecture or other type class.

• Like 1