Menu

AGS history textbooks

alisoncooks

I've seen AGS textbooks mentioned in several threads, but I just wanted to share how well these have been working for us. 

I struggled to find an upper elementary history spine that fit our needs. My kids do not like lapbooks or crafts; they don't love listening to non-fiction reading. We have a house of delayed readers, so no kiddos reading SOTW for fun.  

Notgrass AtB had potential, but (for us) the lessons did not maintain the flow of events/time and the writing felt stilted. When this failed for us, I bought the AGS United States History (super cheap and used). 

Well, blow me away! It's just what I wanted. Super short lessons (just a couple of pages), color illustrations, fact recall questions at the end of each lesson as well as well as more analytical questions (i.e. "Why do you think..."). There are occasional source documents and biographies in the text. (Is it a little light for my 7th grader? Maybe. Is she getting a good overview of events? Yep!)

I've also purchased the world history and government texts to evaluate for the future. Anyway, I know finding the right American history can be a bit of a unicorn for some, so I thought I'd give a little feedback on our experience. I think it's great for a brief overview, leaving room for extra rabbit trails or activities. We don't use the teacher guides or workbooks. Samples can be seen here --https://www.wiesereducational.com/products/ags-united-states-history-mm8041.htm

• Like 2