Menu

Book for logic/thinking skills

lulalu

I have seen a bunch of workbooks, but I don't think that is what I am wanting. We have enough workbooks. 

I want a book that has stories, questions, activities and games we can do orally, or just looking at a picture and talking. Covering logic, thinking skills, brain teasers, those kinds of things for early elementary age. Is this out there? 

Anno's Math Games has that for very early elementary (K-2, I would think, for book 1).  There are 3 volumes that slowly morph to a bit of math but the first volume is all about deciding what belongs, what doesn't, introduction to graphs...it's very good, and all done orally.  I bought volume 2 and 3 but have yet to open them because we moved on to Life of Fred.
You also might like something like Art Fraud Detective where they have to use clues to figure out whodunnit.  From about 4th grade on you can move to CTC's Red Herrings, Encyclopedia, and by 5th you can introduce (but not expect too much from) Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery, which introduces more formal logic.

• Like 2

One Minute Mysteries...there are lots of these books out there. 

Lollipop Logic series from Prufrock Press. The older series is Logic Safari. These might be too workbook-y for you.

I like Mind Benders from Critical Thinking Company as well. Where you use grids to deduce from the clues in the text.

Logic Links is a pretty fun game. Rush Hour is also a fun game as well.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2