Menu

Story of the World Vol. 1 question

cyntheburb1

I don't think it's as much as a mix as you might think.  ? SOTW teaches how to do narrations/summaries in the activity guide and gives examples, plus questions to help students who might be stuck.  And I'd consider SOTW to be more of a living book than a textbook, which has it fit right in with CM.

16 hours ago, cyntheburb1 said:

Do you have a suggestion for us just starting out? I'm worried about my daughter's ability to track with the amount of reading in one sitting, just starting out. But if I break it apart, paragraph, she might lose its coherence. 

See, I was going to write something addressing this but I didn't think it was what you wanted.  But the way we do SOTW is to introduce some sort of aid first: getting started on an activity, or offering the map to color, or looking at a picture (or doing a coloring page to go along).  The visual aid helps the mind remember the sheer amount of information.  Like, the books always seem to start out with a magic carpet ride.  Our very first activity is putting a blanket on the coffee table and looking down at a giant world map.  He can sit on his 'magic carpet' while we point to all the places I tell him in the introduction.  That is easier that just trying to remember cardinal direction and place names.

The first book is very narrative and can be easy to tell back, but if your daughter isn't used to a 2-3 page story for narrations, I wouldn't start with SOTW.  Our first foray was into easier material.  We started with repetitive fairy/folk tales (The 3 Little Pigs, Goldilocks, Billy Goats Gruff, Little Red Hen) and moved to Aesop's fables, and then to SOTW.

Narration is built into SOTW. The activity guide holds your hand.

If you want even more hand holding and smaller stories look at Writing With Ease level 1. 

If you're looking for general practice that's even easier than SOTW, a collection of Aesop's fables works fabulously.

Edited by SilverMoon