Menu

After Math Mammoth 5

jwoodbri

My 11 year old son completed RS levels B-E and then just completed MM5. I had been thinking about having him do BA5 as I know it’s usually considered advanced and he loves reading through the guide books. Part of me is worried that I’d just be having him repeat grade 5 math for no reason but I also think that the different approach might be helpful to him going forward and I know kids completing BA5 should be able to move into pre-algebra so perhaps he wouldn’t be “losing a year.” Or I could have him try TT pre algebra or any number of pre-algebra books I already own. MM got the job done but he finds it boring and says he doesn’t like math now…advice please?

Thanks!

We did Math Mammoth through MM6...and then did Jousting Armadillos....and then "normal" Pre-Algebra and Algebra with DS1.  He did a bunch of BA too, but five did not exist.

My daughter did BA5 and enjoyed it.  It seemed to cement things for her, and she had fun.  

Both DS1 and DS2 did Teaching Textbooks over the summer (Geometry and Pre-Algebra).  They enjoyed them.  I've heard, though, that not everything is covered each year, but if you stick with it, it will be.