Menu

IEW Themed Writing Books

mohop

Has anyone used the IEW themed writing books without having gone through the main Structure and Style writing program?  I think I've decided to start my 5th grader in Writing with Skill, but I am really drawn to the IEW themed books, and we are going to try to add US history this year, so I think their US history book would fit in well.  I'm okay with using it just to give us structured writing assignments related to US history, with the understanding that we may be missing out on pieces of what is intended by the program.  Is this doable?  Is IEW all or nothing?  Should I just teach WWS and do WTM-style history narrations and call it a day (or school year)?  

This is my 6th year homeschooling but for some reason I'm more lost than ever when it comes to picking curricula this year.  Starting the logic stage....

I used the US History themed book at about that age i did borrow and watch a Teaching Writing Structure and Style parent training DVD program first, but I believe I could have done it without that. I don't remember referring back or anything.

My kids first and only exposure to IEW was that theme book. It was the structure we needed at that time. It got us writing regularly without push back or complaint. I do think it's doable. I believe they have a good return policy if you decide to go another direction. I don't know, though, that I would have done it while also do WWS (that was a bust here/may have been the age though). The theme book was our only writing program during that time period. And the styles would be quite different. 

I'm also planning to use it without the course this year.  I did watch the DVDs 3 years ago but am not sure I remember any of it (;  and don't want to invest in either the time or money to get them this year.   I also question using it and WWS (I've used both but at different times with my olders) but it may depend on the child.  One of mine who loves to write may have enjoyed doing them at the same time (or alternating days/weeks) but another one of mine who would rather do calculus (she's only in Geometry) than write would have been stretched too much to do both at the same time.  Hope that helps.