Menu

Sale on Beef and Pork Roasts - what do you do with it?

I am gathering recipes to use when I find these things on sale. I would love recipes that use the meat, but also add a bunch of other items (veggies, beans, etc.) Sarah had a great recipe for beef stew here. It is things like this I am talking about. Making the meat last. I was able to get three meals out of one chicken this week (roasted for dinner, stripped of all remaining meat, carcass boiled and made into soup for two nights). These are the kinds of things I am talking about. Any recipes?

Thanks, ladies!

When I get a beef roast I cut it into bite size pieces and freeze it as 1-1/2# packages. I have two teenage boys so some times they can really pack it away. Anyway, my favorite thing to do with the beef is....

Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stew

I don't have a recipe that I always turn to for beef stew but for beef stroganoff, now that's a different story.

Dredge the beef cubes in flour (that means coat them with flour)

Chop up an onion

Pour 2TBL oil into a kettle and turn up the heat.

Brown the beef and saute onions together. Once brown, add 1 can tomato soup an 1/2 cup red wine. Put the lid on the top, turn the heat down low and let it simmer for an hour (or more). Stir it everyonce in awhile.

15 minutes before you are going to serve it, add 1 TBL Worcestershire Sauce, and 1/3 cup sour cream. Stir them in. Serve over rice or noodles.

Great as a leftover.

My mom used pork roast to make pork chow mein all the time. Hers had tons of veges in it which really stretched out the meat. I like to slice the pork into 1/3" thick pieces, pound them thin, layer on some parmesan cheese, roll them and then poke them with toothpicks so they stayed rolled. I brown them on all their sides, pour on some white wine, let them simmer for maybe 30 minutes, and then serve.

Carole

You can roast beef or pork, like you normally would with the veggies and make mashed potatoes.

You can turn the leftovers into potato soup and the meat into tacos, bbq'd sandwiches. You could even just served pulled pork or beef, with bbq sauce with a side of veggies, fries (or mac and cheese) and corn bread-- this is common fare in restaurants that specialize in barbeque.

I love to buy pork shoulder roast when it's on sale. I get 3 meals from a $10 roast. I season the outside after I rub it with olive oil, usually with a spicy mixture of chili powder, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, cumin, and anise seed, with a pinch of cinnamon (sounds weird, but it works). You could use whatever your family prefers, of course. I slow cook it all day at 275 degrees on a rack of onions, carrots, and celery. It falls apart when it's done--yum! It's great for sandwiches, fajitas, or just plain with a salad and potatoes or rice.