Menu

Spicy Mexican Shredded Beef: How can I make it like Chipotle?

It's quite simple and easy. Especially easy with a crock-pot (don't get me going :tongue_smilie:).

Take a big (cheap) chuck roast, and cook it slowly (low heat) with liquid for a long time (until it is tender). Then remove from liquid, let cook slightly, then shred using two forks.

You can go crazy on variations of what you want to cook the chuck with, from canned or fresh tomatoes, onions, chilies, peppers, garlic, cilantro, oregano, or whatever. Let the seasoning suit your palette. You can't really go wrong.

Bill

ETA: Browning the meat before braising it in liquid does add nice flavor components, not "essential" but "preferred".

ETA #2: You don't "need" to cut up the roast, but it does make the shredding slightly more convenient. If you must cut it up, make large pieces (at least as big as the roast is thick). Under no circumstances listen to recipes that say cut the meant into 1x1 inch cubes. This is wrong. You want 3-4 inch strands of shredded beef.

Edited by Spy Car

Thanks, Bill.

Do I cook the meat WITH stuff like tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapenos or do I add that stuff in after the fact?

The glory part is you can do it either way :D

I'd probably cook it along with the meat, but essentially adding "fresh salsa" at (or near) the end would be good too. You really can't fail. It's easy to riff on this.

This basic idea can be "spun" in other ways too. Add wine and mushrooms (and cut the chilies and other "Mexican" seasonings) and you get a "European version" (maybe don't shred), or pomegranate juice and prunes (or other died fruit) and do "Persian" with rice.

It's a great cheap economic meal.

Bill

I make mine similar to the way Bill makes his. I also remove the beef from the pan, then saute some onions and peppers for a few minutes before putting the roast back in the pan and adding my liquid and other stuff.

Hmmm, guess what we're having for dinner tomorrow night? :tongue_smilie: