Menu

AAR users

Amp

Can anyone tell me if I can use the current edition of the student activity book with the 1st edition manual and readers?  I realize the pages may not match up but I don’t mind figuring that out so I don’t have to order a new set. 

I'm not sure.

I do know that you can sometimes find a old unused workbook on Amazon, ebay, thriftbooks, homeschool classifieds, home educators resource... 

An idea if you find one...I laminated my games and put fluency sheets into page protectors at that level so my children can cross the words off with dry erase markers. That way I don't need a new student book. Or you could resell the level with a non consumable student book.

• Like 1

From AAL site:  

Q. Can I mix and match editions of the Level 1 Teacher's Manual, Student Packet, activity book, and readers?

A. The two editions of Level 1 cannot be mixed and matched. Since so much new content was added to the Second Edition of Level 1, it would be very difficult to use part of it in conjunction with the First Edition of Level 1. For example, you can't use the First Edition of the Teacher's Manual with the Second Edition readers.

Not offering the old version kind of bugs me, but they do allow you to copy for use within the same family.  I generally use that option for things that have consumables that have to match the non consumables.  I would look for a used copy.

Here are a few more thoughts.

I did call them once and talk about level 1 readers. It seemed to me that I could use the new readers with my old stuff bit that they wouldn't match perfectly. I do have an Orton Gillingham certification, but if you've used the program in the past you may have a thorough grasp on teaching phonics also.  I would guess it depends on how much you need the scripted tied togetherness and how much you are comfortable with phonics and mixing resources. 

Also if you can't find an old book I'd buy the new workbook and see if you can make it work before buying a whole new set.

And yes it really bothers me that they won't still sell old level 1 books. It makes me appreciate that RightStart still sells version 1 materials even though version 2 is out!