Menu

Engaging book about Math Principles?

Doodlebug

I'm trying to find a book that provides a general overview/story of math principles for my 7th grader.

He works hard at math and does well, but it isn't his favorite subject... he's stuck in the daily slog of it and needs a new way to see his work.  I'd like to insert some interesting reading (not overly academic) with regard to the broad principles of math and real world application.    

Any recommendations for me?      

Thanks!

Doodle

I would like to recommend Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold R. Jacobs. It's an old textbook (I think I found my copy on eBay) and it is a big hit in this house. The author is a master of the artistry, patterns, and usefulness of math. No algebra required. 

Lots of people have referred to it on this forum; if you do a search I am sure you could find more descriptions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Well, Principles of Mathematics, but it is a full curriculum.  There is a lot of reading throughout that does exactly what you are describing. 

https://www.masterbooks.com/principles-of-mathematics-series 

12 hours ago, smily said:

I would like to recommend Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold R. Jacobs. It's an old textbook (I think I found my copy on eBay) and it is a big hit in this house. The author is a master of the artistry, patterns, and usefulness of math. No algebra required. 

Lots of people have referred to it on this forum; if you do a search I am sure you could find more descriptions.

Thanks so much!  These are helpful.  The Jacobs book sounds about right!

My concern is in adding another “textbook” to math.  The kid will smell that a mile away, lol!  But maybe I can cover the book and make it feel different in how we go about reading it... 

Doodle