Menu

Did you watch "The Staircase" on Netflix and want to talk about the case? (spoilers, obviously :) )

6packofun

I searched to see if this has been discussed and didn't come up with anything, so sorry if this is a repeat post!  This is for people who have seen the ENTIRE documentary, just a warning.

What are your thoughts on this case?!  

I think the most frustrating thing about the documentary (or the case itself) was that it seemed as if a LOT of possible scenarios were left out.  Particularly on the part of the prosecution, and a lot of just general LOGIC was lacking on both sides.  At no point did they ever discuss--unless I missed it--that she could have been pushed.  It is extremely hard to believe that accidentally falling from the 3rd or 4th step, even knowing how badly head wounds bleed, would cause one to ricochet in that stairwell to create 7 lacerations like that.  But if she was higher up, following him and he turned around and pushed her, she could have gone through the air and fallen quite a distance before hitting. He wouldn't even have to push her with all his strength or with enough force to leave any mark on her.  But they got so focused on the stupid blow poke.  And there is not a lot of clarity on their financial situation at the time that I've read elsewhere (as motive) but I don't know what to believe about that.

Seeing the jury test group, I think it was, learn that Michael Peterson had adopted his friend's children and then say that that made their opinion of him go way up because it was so nice made me really frustrated with the idea that one's life is put in the hands of people who may not understand that 2 things are not mutually exclusive.  lol  I know that there is no way to know if it would color their end verdict, but likeability should NOT come into play.  I personally couldn't really stand the guy, and yet I do believe he deserved another trial.

Have you heard of the "owl attack" theory?  Oh my goodness!  lol  And I'm not even ruling that out, but wow. We will never know.

• Like 1