Menu

ack! ack! ack!

A girl wants to "hang out" with my son! He's almost 17. There have been virtually no females in our lives, besides the sisters of friends. I'm at work and just got this email from him:

A friend from work wanted to hang out with me today after school. She goes to Wilson. AND NO IT'S NOT A DATE. Is that ok?

:willy_nilly:

People! What does this mean? I asked where they intended to "hang out" and haven't heard back yet. I don't feel comfortable with him having someone over during the afternoon when we're not there -- he's in charge of his brother during afternoons. I've never met the girl. If I knew her, that might be different.

Okay. Deep, cleansing breaths.

my dd who is 15 has a "boy" in her life. He is a sweet young man from a Christian home...we know the parents. They spend time together...lots of it is study time, as they are in the same co-op, but both families ensure that they are never alone. I would be uncomfortable if there were not another person with them. A much younger brother who requires babysitting does not qualify in my view, so I would be hesitant to permit the "hanging out".

Oh, thank goodness. I'm not a complete moron.

We just had terrible news. A friend of ours is dying today. So I was blindsided by the hanging out request. This has never been an issue, never has come up. So I guess it's time to talk it over. "Not a good time" is a simple, direct answer. Thanks!