Menu

Pre Test for Jousting Armadillos?

DD was working through MM5A at the end of her 4th grade year. She spent 5th grade in a PS that boasts being a year ahead academically. At the end of this school year she took the test for our district's pre-algebra class for 6th graders and apparently just missed the cutoff. 

She wants to go back to homeschooling this coming year and I'm trying to find something that will work for her. My kids all do Math Mammoth but nobody loves it. From what I understand Jousting Armadillos can work kind of as a pre-pre-algebra?  Is there a placement test for JA? How would I determine if the content level is going to be a good fit for her?

We are currently using JA as a pre prealgebra over the summer. I am not aware of a placement test for it and don't feel there is a need for it if you are planning on using it prior to a prealgebra program. We are in chapter 4 of 6 and have found it to be a great introduction to concepts that will be introduced in algebra. There is some review, but not a lot (typically 10 short questions). I love it because it walks the student through why we distribute, how to work with negatives, a nice intro to variables, and has the student retell each concept in their own words (Note to Self). On average, we take 2 days for each lesson.

I found a huge long "sample"  which is basically the whole book by searching "jousting armadillos sample". It's in a google books websit. https://books.google.com/books?id=ndgquU4sm4UC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=jousting+armadillos+sample&source=bl&ots=EdrV_f93ve&sig=z02XgUEDde4vl22aEf5Qa6-DMOs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG8qzhsODbAhUgITQIHRx1CmsQ6AEIWDAI#v=onepage&q=jousting armadillos sample&f=false

(Sorry, I can't figure out how to hyperlink to a single word instead of this long string of website code).

This gave me a good idea of the program.

• Like 1