Menu

Article - Why Johnny Still Can't Read

ElizabethB

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, ElizabethB said:

It is sad how long this has gone on, especially in light of all the evidence in favor of phonics over the years.  This article is good and links to another good article about the recent brain research in support of phonics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nataliewexler/2018/05/19/why-johnny-still-cant-read-and-what-to-do-about-it/#dae90582e221

Excerpts from my history of reading instruction page:

1955: Rudolf Flesch publishes “Why Johnny Can’t Read,” advocating a return to phonics.

1985: Flesch publishes “Why Johnny Can’t Read and What You Can Do about It.”

2011: Stanislas Dehaene's Article "The Massive Impact of Literacy on the Brain and its Consequences for Education," explains how the brain processes at the letters in a "massively parallel architecture" and recommends phonics without sight words.

Full History of Reading Instruction page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Phonics/historyofreading.html

I have always wondered how the educational establishment has been able to claim that teaching sight words is based on research evidence.  Anyone who makes the effort to just scan the Johnny Can't read books would see otherwise.  Then, once I read John Taylor Gatto's book on the history of American Education, it all made sense -money and power and influence drove (and drives) the methods and texts we use in public and private schools, and in teacher colleges).

• Like 2