Menu

Classes Similar to Derek Owens

I am looking for classes similar to Derek Owens . My 10 yr old dd is almost finished with his PreAlgebra class. I love the asynchronous structure plus the teacher grading. I have 4 kids and my 10 yr old is the youngest and the only one I am home schooling. The others are 16, 17, and 19.  The 19 yr old is mentally and physically disabled plus the 16 yr old has been a real handful this year and has significant mental health issues. I work full time- blah blah blah. Point being my time is precious and there is never enough of it. Online classes are challenging because if I have a bad week with tons of appointments then its easy to fall behind. On the other hand, it is hard for us to stay on track without having some sort of imposed structure.

Derek Owens provides a very detailed syllabus and I really love the fact that someone hand grades the homework and tests. They will assign partial credit when appropriate or occasionally have asked her to re-do an assignment. This helps me tremendously because it is one less thing I have to evaluate and implement but I feel assured that this is a high-quality program. The flexibility to go at our own pace is really important to me balanced against the accountability of finished the course within a year. So, any suggestions? This is tentatively what I have planned for next year.

Derek Owens Algebra 1

Local Literature Class that meets 2-3 times a month

IEW online class (Her weakest area. I think she needs a writing teacher beside me even though online can be tricky for us)

Veritas Press History- Year 4 Early Modern

BJU Science 6

I also have BJU Reading 6. I've already paid for it so am tempted to use it as it covers vocabulary and literary elements while the literature class is more focused on reading a book and discussing it.

Would love to hear from anyone who has a lifestyle to similar to ours- several kids, challenging health issues, and work outside the home. DD is working 1-2 grade levels above other than writing where is she on grade level but definitely not advanced and Science is her favorite subject.

Kolbe Academy and Homeschool Connections both offer pre-recorded self-paced courses with teacher grading (along with the typical live online, scheduled courses). I haven't used either of them, but they might be worth checking into. (BTW, both are Catholic providers, in case that matters.)

http://www.kolbe.org/courses/selfpaced/courses/

http://homeschoolconnectionsonline.com/unlimited-access-1

FundaFunda has some classes that aren't live where the homework & projects are graded by teachers or teacher assistants. I think there are deadlines, but I'm not sure as we haven't taken any of their classes. They are mostly high school level stuff with quite a few elective options. The founder is actually on here (a WTM Hive Member) and really nice. Email her through the FundaFunda site if you have questions.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

FundaFunda has some classes that aren't live where the homework & projects are graded by teachers or teacher assistants. I think there are deadlines, but I'm not sure as we haven't taken any of their classes. They are mostly high school level stuff with quite a few elective options. The founder is actually on here (a WTM Hive Member) and really nice. Email her through the FundaFunda site if you have questions.

YES! I wasn't thinking in that direction in my earlier reply since OP said she was looking for self-paced, but my son has taken several FundaFunda courses (Scratch, photography, computer applications, Python, and biology) and we highly recommend them!

Note that most of their courses (or at least the ones DS has taken) do have weekly deadlines to keep kids on track, which to me seems easier to manage than daily deadlines or multiple deadlines within one week. And there is also some flexibility to work things out if you have a particularly busy week or illness, etc.

Do email them if you have questions about the courses - Meryl is super friendly and easy to work with.

• Like 2