Menu

AAS-What do I need to do to before I get started?

You will need to do a lot of cutting! There are sheets and sheets of cardstock to be cut into index-card sized pieces. :D And little plastic letter tiles to cut out, too. I've heard that a paper cutter can be really handy. I cut all of mine by hand, a little at a time.

Once all of your cards & dividers are cut out, you need to put them into an index-card-sized file box. So, getting the file box is something you could do while you wait. That's all I can think of for the moment. :)

I use the large magnetic white board that Costco sells. All the letters are stored on this alphabetically at the top with the mult-letter phonograms in their appropriate sections down the side leaving the center area for the child to work. I used a smaller magnetic board (or you could even use a cookie sheet), in the beginning, but more and more phonograms are added with each level and they would not all fit. Sometimes I dictate the children their words and they write them on the dry-erase board which they think is fun.

Also, just a little something that helped 'me' visually, was to highlight the border on the divider cards with the coordinating color. So, the three dividers for the word cards are bordered in green since the word cards themselves are green. The sound card dividers are red, dictated sounds yellow so their coordinating dividers are bordered in those colors. This makes it quicker for me to file.

HTH!