Menu

Latin conundrum - HELP! I'm drowning!

Sunshine State Sue

Many moons ago, we started our school year in January and went year round, but Latin is the only thing that is still on that schedule, with a break in the summer now.

I studied Latin for 3 years with ds. This year, he has been working through Oxford Latin 1 with a tutor. The year hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked. There were 2 other students in the class at the beginning, but they eventually dropped out. Attempting to go through the summer was a problem with everyone's different schedules.

So, they will be close to being done with OL1 by Christmas. Part of me would like to just continue on with OL2, but I'm questioning several things:

1. Ds is struggling with form memorization, particularly 3rd declension nouns and adjectives and they've just learned demonstrative pronouns and personal pronouns. My head spins with it. How important is having all these things memorized before moving on? (ex. ille-illa-illud-illius-illius-illius...)
  2. Dh doesn't like the cost ($25/wk which adds up to approx $1000/yr). I have no problem with this and provide the majority of the family income.
  3. It would be nice to get Latin on a "regular" school schedule

As I look at options, I see:

• Don't move forward, but review everything for somewhere between 1-2 months or until fall, then continue with tutor
  • Don't move forward, but review everything until fall, then utilize an online class (cheaper). But, that would mean starting at the beginning again (because most online classes do not use OL) and the online classes I believe are for high school and ds would not be high school, and I'm not sure that he would be capable of keeping up with high school pace. Univ of MO high school does OL1 in 1 semester. We took a year.
  • Abandon foreign language until high school. Ds would love this. It's tempting.

I started Latin with ds in order to improve English grammar and vocabulary and set the foundation for learning a romance language in high school. I hoped to complete OL1 in 2008, OL2 in 2009, and OL3 in 2010. At that time, ds could continue with a foreign language at the community college. I'd like to continue, but I'm tired. Even though there is a tutor, I still need to oversee homework. I'm wondering if I've done enough.

I could sure use some advice. Foreign language was never a strength of mine, and ds is similar. He does fairly well with translating, but does not pay attention to the details as well as he needs to. I appreciate it if you've made it this far. Please excuse my run-on sentences. I'm too muddled and confused to write properly. :confused:

Thank you.

Hi Sue,

I would do one of two things; take a break from moving on to OLII till fall and spend that time reviewing, actually I would use another program during that time, perhaps Latin Book One. I would also incorporate the Dowling Method to get those endings/paradigms down.

Or I would sign up for a 1/2 pace Henle class (Memoria Press?) beginning in the spring. I believe all 5 declensions are covered so it certainly wouldn't be all review.

What Latin program did you use for 3 years prior to Oxford? I'm thinking you used LFC, but I know pronouns are covered almost ad nauseum in LFC-B so I'm curious.

I would also incorporate the Dowling Method to get those endings/paradigms down.

Cool! I will check this out.

Or I would sign up for a 1/2 pace Henle class (Memoria Press?) beginning in the spring. I believe all 5 declensions are covered so it certainly wouldn't be all review.

I have heard that Henle is deadly dull and have avoided it because of that. What's your take on it?

What Latin program did you use for 3 years prior to Oxford? I'm thinking you used LFC, but I know pronouns are covered almost ad nauseum in LFC-B so I'm curious.

We used Minimus, then Matin Latin 1 & 2. It never got to pronouns.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

1. Ds is struggling with form memorization, particularly 3rd declension nouns and adjectives and they've just learned demonstrative pronouns and personal pronouns. My head spins with it. How important is having all these things memorized before moving on? (ex. ille-illa-illud-illius-illius-illius...)

First of all, there are some great Oxford Latin support sites.

Internet Workbook for the Oxford Latin Course

Online Drills to Accompany the Oxford Latin Course

Self Help Quizzes to Accompany the Oxford Latin Course

Quia (Use the menu to navigate to Oxford Latin Course)

Third declension nouns and adjectives are the most challenging. First and second declension aren't so tough and fourth and fifth are pretty easy as well. One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that there are NO fourth and fifth declension adjectives. Once he gets through those third declensions, it really does get a lot easier.

Some Latin teachers would say that is very, very important to memorize all those forms. Others would encourage memorization, while keeping the charts nearby for quick reference and gradually fading them out over time. How is he coping with meeting the third declension nouns and adjectives and pronouns in context? Has he taken a look at what sorts of patterns there are in the various pronouns? Have you tried flashcards? Do you use a variety of methods for review? You could have him write them out, perhaps giving a few of the forms for hints. You could chant them together, perhaps one of you giving the nominative, the other the genitive, back and forth through the declensions. You could write out all the pronouns on flashcards and then have him put the flashcards into order. If you have a chalkboard or whiteboard, practice writing them out, maybe taking turns writing each word or each set of cases. You could write "hic, haec, hoc" then he could write "huius, huius, huius" and then it's your turn to write "huic, huic, huic." Use lots of different ways of quizzing and practicing the forms.

In many high school Latin classes, sometimes that "first year" textbook lasts 3 semesters, especially when there is a great deal of focus on forms memorization, because that can get overwhelming.

Edited by latinteach

I've never seen it, but I know people who like it. Hopefully Drew and Latinteach will weigh-in. Do you prefer an online class or is it imperative?

Henle is a traditional grammar-based course, typical of a book published in the 1940s. Most Latin grammar books from that era covered most forms in the first year, finishing up in the first half of the second year with an emphasis on Livy and Caesar in the second book, Cicero in the third, and Vergil and Ovid in the fourth. Finishing Henle 1 in one year is extremely ambitious in a classroom setting, given how much it covers. A lot of people spend time working on the first seven or so chapters and then move on Lingua Latina or Oxford, in order to get more reading material.

I think whether one prefers an online course or not depends on the individual.

As I look at options, I see:

• Don't move forward, but review everything for somewhere between 1-2 months or until fall, then continue with tutor

• Don't move forward, but review everything until fall, then utilize an online class (cheaper). But, that would mean starting at the beginning again (because most online classes do not use OL) and the online classes I believe are for high school and ds would not be high school, and I'm not sure that he would be capable of keeping up with high school pace. Univ of MO high school does OL1 in 1 semester. We took a year.

• Abandon foreign language until high school. Ds would love this. It's tempting.

I started Latin with ds in order to improve English grammar and vocabulary and set the foundation for learning a romance language in high school. I hoped to complete OL1 in 2008, OL2 in 2009, and OL3 in 2010. At that time, ds could continue with a foreign language at the community college. I'd like to continue, but I'm tired. Even though there is a tutor, I still need to oversee homework. I'm wondering if I've done enough.

I could sure use some advice. Foreign language was never a strength of mine, and ds is similar. He does fairly well with translating, but does not pay attention to the details as well as he needs to. I appreciate it if you've made it this far. Please excuse my run-on sentences. I'm too muddled and confused to write properly. :confused:

I say do option 3, but maybe use a roots program. That would satisfy your desire to improve vocabulary and serve as a basis for studying other languages. Then do foreign language in high school.

I think that if your ds has studied Latin for 3 years, and has no real love of it or talent at it, you can call it quits and move on. Latin is a great tool to develop the mind, but there are many ways to skin that cat.

Good luck.

Do you prefer an online class or is it imperative?

The only thing that is imperative is that I not be the teacher, since I'm ignorant. Ds has never taken an online class. I just signed him up for keyboarding through Florida Virtual School. I have been pondering when you know a student is ready for an online class. I don't think my student is.

I have decided to schedule a parent/teacher conference with our tutor. I have determined 6 different options that I'll discuss with him from abandoning Latin to forging ahead in January.

We both realized today that it would really help ds if he had a tape of the forms he's struggling with to listen to. At first, I thought I could make the tape, but then I had to laugh because my pronunciation is horrendous. We agreed that I could bring a tape recorder next week and he would recite the forms for us. It gave me hope! Ds really does do well with the vocabulary and translating, but the form memorization is more difficult.

I appreciate all the various responses. It helps me to clarify my options and thoughts.:001_smile: