Menu

MCT: What level to start with for 6th and 3rd grader?

JumpyTheFrog

My 6th grader is somewhat grammar resistant and is slowly slogging through Easy Grammar 5. My 3rd grader is doing well in Easy Grammar 3. Strangely, my older one is naturally better at language than the younger, but the younger one seems to have an easier time with Easy Grammar. 

I am thinking of switching to MCT and wondered where to start. Is it possible to combine them at these grades? What level would I start with? How essential is the writing part of MCT? I'm a little confused about how the whole program works. Does it appeal to boys who find other grammar programs boring?

I agree with starting on Island level.  There’s a slide show in pdf format on the RFWP website about how to implement the full language arts program.  We used the grammar book and practice book as suggested, read and discuss the writing book for concepts and do other writing assignments, and forewent using Caesar’s Wnglush because we do Latin.  We also used the poetics book as part of our morning basket.  

Did you know they have them in interactive ibook format now?

MCT-LA-Curriculum-Elementary-Guide.pdf

Essentially you do grammar book first, and then do daily practice sentences. Meanwhile after the grammar book is done you start the other elements in tandem.

This is not easily broken down into lessons for certain days. We read together, talked, tried examples for a rough time frame (20 minutes or so) and put in a book mark for where to pick up the next day. For us it was very much do-the-next-thing.

2 hours ago, Targhee said:

MCT-LA-Curriculum-Elementary-Guide.pdf

Essentially you do grammar book first, and then do daily practice sentences. Meanwhile after the grammar book is done you start the other elements in tandem.

This is not easily broken down into lessons for certain days. We read together, talked, tried examples for a rough time frame (20 minutes or so) and put in a book mark for where to pick up the next day. For us it was very much do-the-next-thing.

This is pretty much how we used it too.