Menu

Interesting Article (Tragic Content)

Let me preface this with all the warnings.  There is a tragic fire, and young people die.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/nyregion/never-solved-a-college-dorm-fire-has-become-one-mans-obsession.html

That said, it’s an interesting story and It provides a glimpse into the life outcomes of a group of gifted young people.  It also highlights a universal truth:  there is no one path for gifted kids.

Cornell attempted an accelerated PhD program for gifted students.  Some kids got PhDs, although not necessarily from the Cornell program.  Some kids never got college degrees. Most seemed to find successful paths for themselves.  So no easy fixes, people muddle through, and maybe everything turns out alright in the end?  Mostly?  (And some people, gifted or not, are deeply troubled.)

I enjoyed reading it, and recognized aspects of myself in many of the different people, including the dogged sleuth. 

• Like 1

I also found this article fascinating and it reminded me of watching “The Keepers” on Netflix. The women who reignited the investigation of Cathy Cesnik’s death murder were just as dogged and determined, but perhaps their motivations were more personal. 

It also reminds of this article from the nytimes, in which some family members have become fixated on investigating the management of their trust. It might be with cause, but has fractured the family.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/your-money/family-trust-millions-inheritance.html

My favorite source for these types of articles is longform.org. 

• Like 1