Menu

BJU Literature

I used this book as part of an American Lit class for my son. I guesstimate that he read 1/3 to 1/2 of the selections in addition to several full length works. I got the 2nd ed used, including the TM, which I used occasionally, for a pretty good price.

It does assume that you have done some previous literary analysis but not much.

Lol - I should have said that I though it was very good! I liked the selections and background information. It was a perfect complement to my read/discuss approach to lit and bumped up the difficulty from my more relaxed approach from the year before.

He found that he really liked Poe and he found more stories/poems online. He liked Bartleby the Scrivener so much that we added Billy Budd and then planned for Moby Dick for senior year. It went really well - he thoroughly enjoyed it!

In case it helps, he also read:

Autobiographies: Benjamin Franklin, Frederick Douglass, Up from Slavery (Booker T. Washington), Malcolm X

Novels: Huckleberry Finn, Captains Courageous (yes I know it's British but it fit!), Red Badge of Courage, Billy Budd, Shane, The Pearl, The Chosen, Fahrenheit 451, A Farewell to Arms, The Great Gatsby

Plays: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (we'd read Hamlet the year before), Driving Miss Daisy, Julius Ceasar (I try to do at least 1 Shakespeare per year)

Also. We didn't write about any of these, only read and discussed. His writing lags far behind his reading, so he did 3 Brave Writer Courses. But I think all the discussions really make a difference, because he is doing a Write At Home Literary Analysis class right now and is having no trouble with the analysis. He still hate writing but he gets the analysis, kwim?

Anyway - hth!

The program itself is fairly teacher intensive if you want to use it all. But if you go through it and assign readings and writing and you have a solid student...well, you will still need to discuss the readings with her. Unless you want to give her the TM so she can read the answers and extra info on her own. If she did the dvds/online, I think it would be quite independent, except for grading the papers.

The program does not assign any books, only what is in the text - essays, short stories, poems, some excerpts of longer works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liza Q said:

The program itself is fairly teacher intensive if you want to use it all. But if you go through it and assign readings and writing and you have a solid student...well, you will still need to discuss the readings with her. Unless you want to give her the TM so she can read the answers and extra info on her own. If she did the dvds/online, I think it would be quite independent, except for grading the papers.

The program does not assign any books, only what is in the text - essays, short stories, poems, some excerpts of longer works

This was so helpful! Thank you :)

• Like 1