Menu

Beast Academy Placement

Janeway

I just want to try out Beast Academy. I own all the Singapore Math textbooks and just need to add new workbooks for additional children. When I did the placement exams for Beast Academy, son had no problem, but was weak on mental math. He learns math easily so as I explained mental math to him, he was quickly getting it. I would hate to hold him back over mental math. I am trying to decide if we should just start with Singapore Math US edition 2b since it is largely mental math.  Or if we should go ahead to BA 3a. I am leaning toward the Singapore Math to start but wondering what people with experience with Beast Academy would say.

For my daughter, who picks up on things quickly, the mental math has developed as she has used Beast Academy. It’s not a huge focus of the program, but it’s in there, especially in the estimating chapter in BA3 and the division chapter in BA4. I think it’s one of those things that gets developed with a combination of use and learning a few of the ways to make manipulating numbers faster.