Menu

Explain Veritas Press History to me?

ExcitedMama

I’ve used Bede and L&L but we just started reading Pages of History and I’m really impressed with their incorporation of facts. I wish it didn’t have the weird future in it but overall I’ve been impressed with it, like the comparison between Noah and Gilgamesh. I’d like to find out more about how VP recommends the study of history but I’m confused by their website. Do they have a non-online schedule for study? Or is it meant to be their online course? I can’t find any curriculum guide like MP has. Anyone know?

VP takes a timeline approach to history. They break it into 5 cycles instead of 4 and they don't lump Ancient Greece and Rome with Ancient Egypt which is the difference. They have beautiful timeline cards for each cycle that are numbered so once you complete all of the cycles you can intermix the card sets and see visually what was happening around the same time in history. My kids love that part. They also have catchy timeline songs that allows the student to remember all of the time points. 32 events per cycle. 

There are a couple of different ways to do their program. One is the self paced online which my kids enjoy. There is assigned reading from literature each week. For example my kids are doing Greece and Rome right now after completing Egypt this year. We are currently reading Black Ships Before Troy aloud. 

The other way to do this program is with the curriculum you can get it in a bound format or a cd rom. You would still need the history cards. 

We have really been impressed with VP History and how much our kids are retaining. They have a strong grasp of historical events in time and can spout off so much info about the events. My DD who is 8 was just telling a stranger in Fred Meyer last week about how the Minoan culture had a deep respect for equality of women compared to the Mycenaeans. :) Made me smile. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

What age is it appropriate to start this program would you say? I can't remember how old the rest of your kids are. 

VP recommends starting Ancient Egypt in 2nd grade but we started Ancient Egypt this past summer when DD was 7 turning 8 and the boys were 6 going into 1st. I would say it challenged one DS but the other did fine. 

Greece and Rome is more challenging in subject matter for sure and I am certain some of it goes over my 1st graders heads but they do well on the quizzes and games so the main take aways are getting in their brains :) I would say VPs grade schedule is about right but each level could easily be used for students in later elementary. I minored in classical studies and even I have learned a ton watching over their shoulders. 

• Thanks 1