Menu

RFWP Eastern and Western Philosophy

Hello!

Has anyone used RFWP's Eastern and Western Philosophy programs?  Specifically, I am looking at the middle school level books. Any opinions on this program? Are they full year programs or can you do eastern one semester and Western in one semester?  Can these be considered a high school course?

Western: https://www.rfwp.com/package/philosophy-package-3

Eastern: https://www.rfwp.com/series/eastern-philosophy-by-ingrid-klass

I just bought them for 5-9 year olds. My 9 year old read Western philosophy 1 package in an HOUR. I tried to stop him and obviously we need to discuss it, but that should give you some idea. The circle of Happiness is about a little girl at a playground with a talking monkey. Not high school material. Perfect for my 7 year old. The teacher's guide has more information for research and discussion and I guess technically you could use it as a spine if you wanted to read the texts in question and discuss them. A high schooler might not tolerate the art work and story line though. The Western package 3 is probably higher level (I've only gone through 1 & 2) but I would count on it being more like a semester than a year if you consider it a full class. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CadenceSophia said:

I just bought them for 5-9 year olds. My 9 year old read Western philosophy 1 package in an HOUR. I tried to stop him and obviously we need to discuss it, but that should give you some idea. The circle of Happiness is about a little girl at a playground with a talking monkey. Not high school material. Perfect for my 7 year old. The teacher's guide has more information for research and discussion and I guess technically you could use it as a spine if you wanted to read the texts in question and discuss them. A high schooler might not tolerate the art work and story line though. The Western package 3 is probably higher level (I've only gone through 1 & 2) but I would count on it being more like a semester than a year if you consider it a full class. 

Thanks for the feedback. I find it very interesting that the eastern philosopy is so easy since it is listed as being for ages 12-18.  It is a bit of a disappointment. 

In your opinion does the teacher guide bring up higher level concepts appropriate for upper middle school? Or is it all at an elementary level?